chapter 44

Carl
The day passed, and now i'm bringing a warm bottle up to our room for Hanna. Enid's already upstairs with her getting her dressed after our bath. Enid opted to get Hanna dressed, so I volunteered to make her bottle to make things easier on Enid.

"You're such a happy little person. You really remind me of a really good person that I knew." I was about to walk into the room, but stop upon hearing what Enid was saying to our daughter. She was sitting on the bed cradling Hanna in her arms. She was rubbing her chubby cheek gently. She looked almost majestical with the way the light from the lamp on the nightstand shone on her face, and was caring for our baby.

She had her long brown hair tucked behind her ear, and a loving smile on her face. Her eyes looked bright green in the light while she looked down at Hanna, who was staring up at her mother with pure admiration. I could only get a small view from the way the door was cracked, but I stand there and listen nonetheless.

"His name was Glenn." She reaches into the nightstand beside her and pulls out her watch. She closes the drawer and turns back to the baby.

"See, this used to be his. It still would be, but he's not around anymore." She holds the watch up by the chain, leaving it just high enough for Hanna to reach up and touch the actual watch.

"He was a really good person, you would've loved him. He would've been so obsessed with you! He seemed to be so happy any time I talked to anyone in his group- if he found out I had a baby with one, forget it!" She laughs fondly, making me smile.

"He took me in when I was giving up on the world. He showed me that surviving isn't living. He's the reason I have you! And you my love, happen to be the best thing that's ever happened to me and your daddy." Hanna continued to play with the watch.

"Sometimes, when it's quiet, I like to imagine that he's still here. Like he's just standing in a corner and watching over us proudly. He'd make all sorts of jokes that were so bad, you'd have to laugh anyways, and he'd always be there if we need someone to talk too. I think Maggie does too." She puts the watch down on the bed besides her and goes back to caressing Hanna's face.

"It was really hard for me, and everyone else when he died. Thank god I wasn't there, because I don't think that I could take it. But we got through it. We live because they don't get too, but if anything ever happened to you- forget it." She pulls her up to her chest, hugging her.

"But that will never happen, your daddy and I will make sure of it." She presses a kiss onto the top of her head. I decide to finally walk in and stand besides them, leaning down to Hanna's level.

"She's damn right we will." She looks up at me with her big blue eyes and I smile at her. I lean down and kiss her forehead, making her smile.

"I won't let anything happen to either of you, or anyone else." I climb into bed besides Enid and she smiles, leaning her head on my shoulder. I hand the bottle over to Hanna who gladly takes it and puts it in her mouth.

"How much did you hear?" Enid looks up at me without moving her head from my shoulder.

"I miss him too." I say instead of answering. She stares into my eye for a few seconds before eventually hiding her face away in my chest. I wrap my arm around her, pulling her into an awkward hug around the baby in her arms.

"Do you think that i'm a good mom?" She asks, muffled from my shirt. My face shifts and I look at her confused.

"Of course I do. You're an amazing mother, why are you even asking me that?" She didn't move.