chapter 36

Carl
After breakfast, Enid had to go to Siddiq to get checked. He wanted to make sure that everything was okay after she gave birth since he couldn't be there. Enid insisted on me taking Hanna on a walk around Hilltop instead of going with her and waiting, so that's what we're doing.

I got Hanna dressed up in a pastel yellow onesie with a little bee on it that says 'call me honey', and some white socks. There was no point in finding shoes small enough to fit her yet, since she'd just kick them off anyways. Plus- she's nowhere close to crawling yet, let alone walking.

I bring her downstairs where we're greeted by everyone. Everyone comes up and says their 'hellos' and 'good mornings' to me and Hanna, and I finally walk outside of Barrington. I look down at the baby in my arms, who was leaning her head on my shoulder.

She really does look like me. I can still see plenty of Enid in her, but she definitely has a strong resemblance to me. I lean in and kiss the top of her head, her thick dark brown hair soft on my lips.

"Where should we go first Han?" She smiles up at me and claps her hands together, making me smile. I see her start to look around, her eyebrows furrowed due to the sun.

"Yeah, it is pretty sunny out, isn't it?" I take my hat off and put it on top of her little head. The hat falls right over her face, making it so that she can't see. I chuckle and prop it back so that it rests on her head without falling, but still blocks out the sun.

"Alright, let's go. I'm gonna show you all around Hilltop. This is your home, you should know it like the back of your hand." I walk straight and eventually get to the front gates, deciding that it's the perfect place to start.

"This is the gate. It protects us from walkers and bad people." She looks up at the big gate, reaching out to tough it. I lean forward to let her run her tiny hand along the gate. She squeals due to the gate being hot from the sun, but smiles at me, indicating that it only shocked her.

"You're a curious little thing, aren't you?" I walk towards the armory which is to my right.

"This is where your daddy works most of the time." I walk inside the tent and heat washes over us.

"Oh, Carl you're back!" Bert places the tools in his hands down, standing up, and coming over to greet us. His face immediately turns to a look of shocked when he sees Hanna, making me chuckle.

"Enid had the baby!" He thinks out loud. I nod, readjusting Hanna in my arms. She looked up at him and gave him a huge grin.

"Her names Hanna. Hanna Iris Grimes." He looks up at me, his smile never fading.

"That is a lovely name!" He leans down a bit to be more level with Hanna.

"Hello Hanna! I am Uncle Bertie! You are truly precious!" I hand her off to him, letting him hold her, which he gladly accepts.

"We're gonna have so much fun together! When you're older, i'll teach you how to make all sorts of weapons, like I did with your father." Hanna looks around the tent with her hand in her mouth. She looks back up at him with a smile, which he returns, before handing her back off to me.

"It is probably too hot in here for her to stay too long. The forge and the summer heat, she could get overheated pretty fast." I nod and hold up her little hand that's not in her mouth and make her wave goodbye.

"Say goodbye, Hanna." She looks up at Bert and giggles, making him chuckle.

"Goodbye little one! It was a pleasure to meet you! Come back any time!" I wave goodbye and head out of the tent. After letting the tent close behind me, I feel a cool breeze. I look down at Hanna and see her looking around again. I continue our walk.