chapter 28

Carl
We had just eaten dinner with everyone about an hour ago, and now Enid and I were sitting on my bed. Judith wanted to hang out with us, but she was too tired after the long drive, so she said that she'd wake us up early tomorrow to hang out.

Enid was currently leaned up against the headboard with pillows supporting her. She had her shirt (my shirt) rolled up over her bulging belly and i was currently laying on the bed on my back, with my head in her lap next to the bump. She keeps playing with my hair, and I have a hand on her belly. We each held each other's hands with our free hands.

We've just spend the last hour talking about random things like we normally do. I love these moments with her. Where we can just be ourselves and enjoy each others presence.

"Spider-man is wayyy cooler than Captain America!" I shake my head disapprovingly.

"That's not what I said!" She pulls her hand out of my hair and playfully smacks my cheek.

"Hey-"

"I just said he was funny."  She ropes her hand back in my hair and we both chuckle.

"And Spider-man isn't?!" I tilt my head to the side.

"He is! I'm just saying, they could've made better spider man movies!" Enid giggles.

I love her smile. She's so unbelievably gorgeous when she does.

She tucks her hair behind her ears and just stares into my eyes smiling. I return the favor and smile back at her, hoping to send her every ounce of love that I have for her through our gaze.

Man, i'm totally whipped.

"Have you been thinking of any names?" She suddenly breaks the comfortable silence.

"A little, but nothing good. What about you?" She nods her head.

"I don't know if you'll like them but I have a couple." I nod my head to signal for her to keep going.

"At first, I really liked the names Juno and Natallie, but then, I had a dream. This probably sounds stupid, but last night I had a dream about us sitting by the pond, watching our baby girl run around and play. We called her Hanna. We were so happy. Maybe it could be a sign. I think that's my favorite." She looks away, flustered.

I place my hand on her cheek and guide her gaze back to me and smile.

"Hanna is perfect. Now we just need a middle name." She smiles and leans down, kissing my forehead.

"What are some of the names that you've been thinking?" She softly rubs her delicate fingers over my bandage lovingly.

"I don't know. I keep thinking about naming her after someone we've lost, but we've lost so many people. How would we decide who to pick, and would it be right to pick one person over all the others? Your mom, my mom, Beth, Andrea, Lizzie, Mika, Sophia, Amy, Karen, Denise, Olivia, Deanna, Jessie. There's so many people that we've lost, but I don't want to think of loss when I think of our daughter. She's the example of a chance at life in this shitty world." I lift my head and she carefully removes the bandage.

"Yeah, I get what you mean. Even people from before. I want to honor them, but not to bring up the past. They deserve to rest." She hums, softly stroking the scar tissue on my cheek.

"What about Iris? I read somewhere that it means 'hope of life'?" I grin, nodding my head.

"That's perfect." I sit up and kiss the middle of her belly.

"Hanna Iris Grimes. Our baby girl." I return Enid's smile and pull her in for a kiss.

"I love you both so much." I pull away from the kiss and lay my forehead against hers.