chapter 3

Carl
"Judith did you say goodbye to your brother and Enid?" My dad called out from the truck.

"I am now!" The little girl called back before running up to me and hugging me. I lift her up into my arms. She wraps her arms around my neck and hides her face in the crook of my neck.

"I'm going to miss you!" She whimpers. I rub her back and sway back and fourth in an attempt to sooth her.

"I'm gonna miss you too Judy. But don't be upset, i'll be back as soon as you know it, and i'll have even more stories for you!" I smile at her.

"And a picnic?" She lifts her head up, peaking at me through her bangs.

"Yes, and a picnic." I chuckle. She sighs and kisses my cheek before gesturing to be put down. I gently lift her to the ground and and goes to hug Enid who is standing next to me. She leans down and hugs the small child who was hugging her legs tightly.

"Will you miss me Enid?" My sister asks, worry in her big brown eyes.

"Of course Judy! You're my best friend remember?" Enid smiles, looking into Judith's eyes.

"Yes! I'll miss you too Enid! You're my best friend too! But don't tell Gracie!" Judith grins.

"I promise!" Enid holds out her pinky. The young her giggles and wraps her small pinky around the older girl's.

"Hey Judy, I want to give you something." Enid crouches down to Judith's height. She pushes her hair to her shoulder and takes off a necklace. Judith gasps and smiles. The little girl turns around and holds her hair up for Enid to secure the necklace around her little neck.

"Thank you Enid!" The little girl hugs the older girl.

"You're welcome! A long time ago, my best friend gave me that necklace and now, i'm giving it to you! Can you hold onto it and take good care of it for me?" Enid smiles.

"Of course I will! Thank you Enid! I love you!"

"I love you too Judy." Enid leans down and hugs Judith back, kissing the small girl on the top of her messy hair.

———————

I smile and wave as I watch my dad drive out of the gates of Hilltop, Judith waving out the window. Enid does the same from beside me. I turn to her a grin.

I'm really happy that my girlfriend and baby sister have such a great bond. They always have really. Even when we first arrived at Alexandria, Enid loved helping me watch Judith, and even as a baby, Judith loved Enid. She would sometimes even cry out and reach for her when I would upset her by not giving her the snacks she wanted.

It was funny seeing how fast she would calm down when she was in Enid's arms, and resting her head on Enid's chest. Enid would always have a big grin on her face. She always looked so beautiful without trying. The two most important people in my life have such a strong bond, and I couldn't be happier.

"What are you smiling at Cowboy?" Enid raises a brow, her hand on her hip. She looked hot when she was being sassy- but you didn't hear that from me.

"My hot girlfriend." I grin and grab her waist, pulling her against me. She smiles and wraps her arms around my neck, tilting her head to the side.

"I'm really glad that you're so close with my sister. It makes me happy that she has someone she can rely on." I look into her gorgeous sea-green eyes.

"You both mean the world to me. I'm glad that I have a family again. I never had a younger sibling but now, in a way, I do and I love it!" I lean in and press my lips onto hers.