chapter 7

Carl

Maggie is definitely pissed at me. I can just feel her wrath through the door. I am currently standing outside the door to her office in Barrington House. Me and Enid had taken a nice shower together earlier and ate some fruit for breakfast after Maggie caught me in Enid's room.

I take a deep breath and knock on the door a couple times, opening after hearing her call out to me to come in. I slowly open the door and softly close it behind me once I enter the room.

"Sit." She says gesturing to the two chairs that were on her desk, without even looking up from the paper in her hands. I begrudgingly made my way over, and sat in one of the chairs, awkwardly waiting to hear my punishment.

"Carl," She finally puts the paper down and looks up at me, crossing her arms and leaning back in her seat with her legs crossed.

"Yes?" I sound so dumb right now. I probably look like an idiot too. I'm usually not this nervous, but I know that this is a big deal.

"I've known you since you were eleven. I've seen you grow up, and we've become family. You know I love you. You were there for me when Glenn died, and I was there for you when your mother died." Her southern accent rang.

"You know I trust you. I know how smart and strong you are, so i'm gonna trust that you take care of Enid. You know better than anyone all the shit that the poor girl has been through, but I am warning you. If you hurt my daughter, you will be dealing with me." She glares. I gulp and nod my head to show her that I understand.

"And god so help me, if you get her pregnant any time soon, I will chop your dick off. Do you understand me?" She leans forward, onto the desk and stares at me. Her sky blue eyes peering daggers into mine.

"Of course! You know how much I love her and could never even imagine hurting her! And I got condoms from Doctor Carson! I won't get her pregnant! We're not even anywhere close to ready to have a baby! We're still just 17 and 18!" I ramble like a fucking moron. Great going Grimes!

"Good. Now why don't you go down to Bert and Tyler. Tyler is one of our new recruits. Today is his first day, so he'll be shadowing Bert. Tell them that I need an update on my order for the armory. Take Enid with you, she will know the order details." She leans back in her chair once again, with the same piece of paper from earlier. I nod and stand up, readjusting my hat out of my vision.

"You didn't tell me about any new people. So I'll be working with him at the forgery? You said he'll be shadowing Bert right? Does that mean he's young?" I narrow my eyes in confusion.

"Oh right! Jesus picked him up last night on a last minute run. I believe he's about 20 or so- close to you and Enid. Now, I have to finish this up before baby Hershel wakes up. Can I trust you to get this done?" I nod my head and in response she smiles. I make my way over to the door and close it behind me after leaving the room.

Next thing up, finding Enid. Hmmm. Where would my girlfriend be right now?

I make my way to the kitchen and found her standing over the sink, cleaning off the last of the vegetables from the basket besides her. Smiling to myself, I make my way over to her, wrapping my arms around her waist, and tucking my face away into her neck causing her to giggle.

"Hey! How'd it go with Maggie?" She gives me a quick glance and then goes back to rinsing off the last potato and turning off the sink.

"It was fine. Threatened me, told me how much she loves us, gave me errands to run- the usual Maggie stuff." She giggles again and I let go of her with one hand to pass her the towel, before wrapping it back around her. Once she was finished drying off all of the vegetables, she turns around in my grasp so she was now facing me. I take my hat off and place it on top of her head, and she hugs me back, looking up at me with her perfect eyes.