chapter 32

Carl
When my dad radioed me, he basically just wanted to know if Enid and I would stay in Alexandria for two months so I can help out with building a new house. Some of the old saviors who are now living in Alexandria still needed places to live, and Dad and everyone also wanted see us before the baby is born and visits will be less frequent.

That's where we are now. We've been staying in my old room at my dad's in Alexandria for the past two months. Enid is now eight months pregnant, and looks about ready to pop. Judith's been esthetic that we've been staying here and usually hangs out with Enid while i'm working with my dad and the others. I'm glad. I don't want Enid alone, especially so close to giving birth. Everything is getting so much harder for her too- harder than before. Michonne had been keeping an eye out for her though, helping her out when I can't.

I'm glad that Enid has my step mom and sister to look after her while I can't. I'm currently heading home from a long day. I'm gonna be meeting with Judith, Enid, Gracie, Hershel, and Tara. They convinced me to go to the pond. Oh, I forgot to mention that Hershel is staying the weekend with us here too. He and Judith were begging Maggie, and Enid promised to look after him. So that's what we're doing now. I'm holding Gracie and Hershel's hands while Judith walks besides Enid and Tara to the pond. We were gonna have a picnic and Tara was holding the backpack filled with food.

"Carl hurry up!" Judith turns around to scold me. I shake my head.

"Yeah yeah!" She scoffs and turns back around, continuing her conversation with Enid and Tara. That's when I hear something weird. Like a rattling sound. I stop walking and look around. I don't see anything unusual until I look at the side gate and see that it's shaking.

Shit!

That part of the gate is weaker because that's where Negan directed his attacks during the war. Before I could say anything, the panel of the gate falls and walkers start to flood in.

"Shit! Enid! Tara!" They look over worried and I point to the gate. People could be heard screaming all around Alexandria, and the kids started to cry. I hoist up Gracie and Hershel in my arms, handing Hershel off to Tara. We pull out our guns and Judith unsheathes her mini katana.

A walker makes its way over, creeping behind Enid, but I shoot it before it could lay a hand on her, making her nod in thanks. We start running towards the house but see it surrounded by walkers.

"Carl!" We turn as see my dad by the front gate and run over to him. I make sure that Enid and Judith are between me and Tara, making sure that no walkers can come up behind them.

"How'd they get in?!" He looked worried and drove his axe into the skull of a nearby walker.

"The wall fell. The one that was hit in the war with the saviors." He nods and turns to me. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a pair of keys.

"Take these, they're to the red truck out front. Take Enid and the kids to Hilltop. I'll radio you updates. Keep them safe. It's getting dark, so you'll have to find somewhere safe to stop for the night." I nod and take the keys.

I turn and start to guide them out of the gate, shooting walkers as we go.

"Carl look!" Tara points to a figure surrounded by walkers. I see a bat swing and take off the heads of two of the walkers and notice that it's Negan.

How the fuck did he get out of his cell?!

I decide to worry about that later and shoot the remaining two walkers by him, gaining his attention.

He runs over, taking out a walker behind me. The toddlers start to scream and cry in our arms, drawing in more walkers.

"Shh, Gracie, please don't cry!" I hold her head close to my chest and fight off walkers with my other hand, Tara doing the same with Hershel.