Chapter 7: Picking the Favorite

Alison POV:
"Eden, look at mommy." I say as we sit in the sandbox at the park.

I hear footsteps behind me but I don't think anything of it until Eden's face lights up and she lets out a giggle.

I turn around and see Emily walking towards us with a smile on her face.

"Hey, Blondie." She says, and sits next to me.

Eden laughs, and crawls over to Emily.

"Looks like I'm the favorite." Emily jokes, and picks Eden up.

"I'm her mom. So I'm the favorite." I retort.

"Just because you're her mama doesn't mean you're the favorite." Emily says as she looks at me. "My mom isn't my favorite. Is your mom your favorite?" She asks.

"No, but-"

"But nothing. I'm the favorite!" Emily cuts me off as she giggles.

The way she laughs and giggles, and her voice is just...No, stop Alison. It's just Emily. The new girl.

"Whatever." I scoff, and turn away from her.

"I was just joking, Alison!" Emily exclaims as she laughs.

"You're so annoying." I say jokingly.

"How about this..." She pauses and looks at me with a smile on her face. "Let's put Eden in the grass, and whoever she walks to...That person is her favorite. That simple."

"That's stupid." I say.

"Then let's do it!" Emily exclaims.

"Fine." I groan.

Emily gets up and takes Eden with her, and puts her in the grass.

Eden looks at us confused as we walk opposite directions of her.

"Eden! Come to mama!" I say in a baby voice, making Eden giggle.

"Eden! I'm your favorite! Come to Emily!" Emily exclaims, and claps her hands.

Eden turns her head between Emily and me, watching us like we're crazy.

"Eden! Come on!" I say.

"Eden! I'll give you a cookie!" Emily says.

"I'm your mama! Come to me!" I say.

"Come to me! I'm more fun!" Emily says, and I glare at her, making her laugh.

"Baby girl! Come on!" I say.

"Eden! Eden! Eden!" Emily chants.

Eden takes a step towards me, and I fist pump the air, but she stops and turns around.

She runs as fast as she can, and jumps into Emily's arms, who is squatting down to Eden's level.

"Yesss!" Emily exclaims, and throws Eden into the air and catches her.

"Nooo!" I whine, and pout my lips.

Emily laughs, and holds Eden on her left hip when her phone starts ringing.

"Hey, babe." Emily says as she holds the phone to her ear.

I feel a pain in my chest as I listen to the words she says.

"Okay, Maya." She laughs, and rolls her eyes. "Yeah...Okay. You better not. Really?! ...Oh, my god! You are amazing! Okay. Love you, too. Bye." She ends the call with a big smile on her face.

"Who was that?" I ask with slight jealousy rising in me.

"My girlfriend Maya." She answers as she smiles shyly.