You/Mikasa Ackerman - Late(Angst)

TW: Death

You pulled up your knees to your chest and let your head rest on your knees while you watched Mikasa argue with Levi and Hange

You pulled up your knees to your chest and let your head rest on your knees while you watched Mikasa argue with Levi and Hange. It was tempting to go up there and try to help but you knew she wouldn't want you to intervene. With nothing to do, you let your thoughts drift off to what could've been if the two of you lived in a normal world. One without titans and the constant threat of death everyday.

"You know, it's okay to let yourself be happy."

You didn't bother to turn around when he took a seat. It was always the same thing with him. That you and Mikasa should just date. That it was pointless for the two of you to torture each other with longing stares and light touches.

"I am happy."

"You would be happier with Mikasa."

You couldn't handle his words today. You still had to mentally prepare for the rescue operation that was to come.

"I'll be happier when the titans disappear."

You stood up without another word and left to join Connie and Jean.

Armin had always been a big supporter of the two of you. He could tell how much the two of you loved each other but he just couldn't understand why neither of you made things official when both of you were aware of each other's feelings. He could't comprehend how you were both denying yourselves some happiness.

For now, he would remain quiet about his thoughts. Eren had been kidnapped and the last thing Mikasa would want to hear is anything related to a relationship.

X

You couldn't help but be relieved when you saw Mikasa and Eren reunited again. You had worried that it could've been too late to save him but he was alive and back with the Corps.

After his rescue, it didn't take long for everything to go south. Titans started to appear from nowhere and began to overwhelm everyone. Jean was knocked out. The Commander was heavily injured. You weren't even sure where Hange or Levi where. Half of your friends had disappeared and the rest of the Corps were struggling to survive the assault.

Once you made sure that you had enough gas and blades, you hurried your horse to rescue Eren and Mikasa. The two of them were okay but they were too injured to fight against the horde of titans. Seeing the tall titan approach them, you jumped from your horse and used the last of your gas to hurry and intercept it.

You arrived just in time before the titan could reach your friends, you were able to cut their heel to stop them from continuing to go further. You turned to make sure that Mikasa and Eren were okay before continuing on taking down the titan. However, you didn't have a chance to do so as the fallen titan grabbed you out of the air.

Mikasa's screams made you temporarily forget about the pain you were in. You weren't sure what was more painful, seeing her struggle to move or the tears streaming down her face as she screamed for you.

The seconds it took for the titan to bring you down to its mouth felt like hours. Everyone was moving in slow motion. You could see Eren attempt to transform but it failed. Mikasa attempted to use her blades as crutches but she kept falling. You looked over Eren to find Armin struggling to defend an unconscious Jean from a titan. You weren't sure where Sasha and the others were but you knew they were probably fighting for their lives.

Memories of you and Mikasa seemed to play like a movie when your body was split in two. Blood spilled out of your mouth but you were smiling. The last memory you saw was the moment you knew you had fallen for Mikasa.

X

Mikasa's throat and eyes burned from all the screaming and crying she had done when she saw you get eaten. Armin and Eren had tried to console her but she brushed them off. All she kept thinking about was the smile you had as you took your last breath. She couldn't imagine what you could've seen nor would she ever get to know.

She regretted turning you down. What ifs swirled through her mind. What if she had accepted going on a date with you? What if she had pushed you to join the Garrison Corp? What if you hadn't gone to help them? What if the two of you had gotten your happy ending? What if the two of you married and made a family. What if you had grown old together? At this point, it didn't matter anymore. You were dead and Mikasa had lost yet another person she loved. She wasn't meant to be happy