Kris Drabble

(Back again with my favorite human. Kinda a sibling oneshot? Mostly focuses on just Kris tbh.)
(Also been a while since I watched Chapter 1 of Deltarune, so some facts about what we know of Kris' past may be different.)
(Also also, just fyi my brain couldn't decide if I wanted to use he/him or they/them pronouns for Kris so it's both :P)
(Listened to "You Can Always Come Home" from the Deltarune Soundtrack while writing this.)
Word Count: 1.1k

Cornered in the hallway again.
Kris stood in front of you, arms slightly outstretched to further block you from your bullies' view. Kris had been hit multiple times already, but even still, what you could see of their face was expressionless.
The kids never picked on you for what you were, you were sweet and kind, usually raising your hand to answer a question in class, and overall being normal with your (trait) Soul.
What most kids picked on you both about, was how... utterly blank Kris was all the time. Kris was anything but normal: emotionless, silent, keeping out of sight.
Kris stood out in all the wrong ways.
It didn't help that Kris bared a Determination Soul, something so rare not even his younger sibling, you, had it.
Determination Souls were nothing but trouble, too unpredictable, that's what everyone said.
And yet here your bullies' were, testing their luck to pick on you both for their own amusement.
A few more swings were thrown, none by you or Kris, and then your bullies were gone for the day.
"Kris?" You piped up, gently grasping their arm, eyeing their bruising face with concern.
Your older sibling glanced down at you, giving you a brief glimpse of their ruby red eyes.
"Are you alright?"
A simple nod, but you were alright with the lack of spoken words between you and Kris.
They then gently grasped you by the hand, beginning to tug you to the main set of doors.
That had been the last day of grade school for the fall, and you and Kris had been on your own for a while.
Winter was always worrying, you both would usually sneak into the Librarby to wait out the winter months and read books together, but even with that secret place it was beginning to grow riskier.
You and Kris had paused just outside a small bakery on your walk... "home", Kris rummaging through his pockets while you stared into the window.
You never breathed a word about being too hungry or cold, knowing Kris did all he could to provide for the two of you as the older sibling. You couldn't be more grateful to what he does.
You glanced back when Kris' head dropped in your peripherals, your sibling shaking their head solemnly. Without a word, you stepped over and wrapped your arms around Kris' middle, silently letting them know you weren't upset.
"Maybe Burgerpants or Grillby has any leftovers from today?" You offered the idea as you looked up at them, past their hair into their eyes, your chin pressing into their stomach a bit.
Kris nodded silently, patting your hair as the corners of their mouth twitched up into the smallest of smiles.
"Forgive me for intruding, but are you two out here on your own?"
You both glanced over to see a goat monster, dressed in warm, purple and lavender clothing, and another goat monster a few years older than Kris at her side.
You felt Kris' hands wrap around your shoulders as he nodded, holding you a bit closer as the woman stepped up. Kris was just being cautious, but you both knew this woman had no ill-willed or cruel bone in her body.
You stared at the warm, inviting paws that stretched out to you both.
"Come with me, the streets are absolutely no place for sweet children. Especially not in the winter."
Your hand, which was still curled into Kris' worn and tattered sweater, twitched slightly, you almost reaching out to take her paw. You glanced up at Kris' blank expression, waiting for their choice instead.
Your hand moved a moment after theirs did, you both reaching out to take her warm paws.

The first thing the goat monster, Toriel, did was give you and Kris separate, warm baths. Kris let you take your bath first, and once done Toriel bundled you up in the warmest clothes you'd ever had, ushering you off to the kitchen where her son, Asriel made you a warm cup of hot chocolate.
Kris followed suit a while after, getting his own cup of hot chocolate as Toriel went about the kitchen, asking you both about your pie preferences. It wasn't long before she was whipping one up, glancing over her shoulder with a warm smile that only a mother could hold.
"What are your names, dears?"
"My name's (Y/n)." You replied, reaching over to carefully nurse the almost-too-warm porcelain mug with your hands, taking an equally careful sip.
"...Kris." Kris' voice was almost too quiet, so much so even you had a hard time hearing it.
But even still, Toriel smiled, turning back to her pie mix. "(Y/n and Kris... such lovely names."
Asriel had politely excused himself to his room when Toriel came back with Kris from the bathroom earlier, saying something about homework and not wanting to overwhelm you both.
"I hope you both don't mind such a forward question," Toriel piped back up again, pausing her words momentarily to set the pie in the oven, "but I wanted to ask if you both... wished to stay here? Kris, you had mentioned you and (Y/n) haven't had a home for a long while."
Kris quietly nodded, busying himself for a moment with another large sip of hot chocolate. How he handled such harsh temperatures was beyond you.
"Been on our own for about a year and a half..." They breathed, hiding behind their hair.
You swallowed another mouthful of warmth, staring down into the depths of your mug. It was hard to talk about you both being on your own in such a way, most people would laugh or look at you with so much pity it was sickening.
"Then, what you both say to staying with me and Asriel? I can't imagine what your world is like, but if you'll allow me, I'd happily take care of you both."
You stared up at her warm smile, her kind eyes, the way the kitchen lights made her glow.
It was like an angel had come to rescue you both.
"You mean it...?" You and Kris both responded, setting your mugs on the table you both sat at.
"Of course I do."
Kris was the first to jump up, rushing forward to envelop Toriel in a tight hug, you joining in a moment later.
Tears were shed, 'thank you's were spoken, and once back in your places at the kitchen table, finishing off the last of your hot chocolate, Asriel had rejoined you all as Toriel began cutting the pie that had finished baking.
With fresh, warm slices of pie and another round fresh, steaming mugs of hot chocolate placed in front of you, you had forgotten all about the chilling winter you and Kris worried about.
You glanced up, and knew you both were where you were meant to be when you saw Kris' bright smile, eyes glittering with happiness and possibly unshed tears as Toriel fussed over the bangs that hung in their eyes.
You were finally home.