Nightmare x Innocent! Shy! Reader

(Went through and looked through some requests I thought would be fun to write!)
(Also it's VERY IRONIC how I made a self-indulgent oneshot where the reader was sick and now here I am, sick...ish. Don't feel too great, I've slept I don't know how many hours, and water tastes disgusting.)
Requested by the lovely corvid, @sparky_astro!~

You aren't sure how long it's been, your meek little form making the dying tree into a new home of sorts. You could only sit and listen as your beloved brothers tore each other apart, before disappearing. The townsfolk fled as soon as it started, and haven't returned, so here you are, alone.
You pick through the abandoned homes in the village, gathering what resources you could to survive before heading back to the tree. Each time you traveled out of your little safe spot, you'd find more and more places where your brothers' battle wounded the land.
You weren't sure what Nightmare had turned into, only heard Dream's frantic explanation of what Nightmare had done as your brother clad in gold did his best to hide you.
Dream.
He promised he'd come back for you, so you wouldn't end up alone. Tears dripped down at your face at the memory, how long had it been since he'd said those words to you...?
Your thoughts were interrupted by an odd noise, and turning to look over your shoulder, you had to bite back a gasp at the black tar sneaking around the corner.
Not taking any chances, you turned on your heel and ran. You heard the tar following you, and in no time at all something slipped around your ankle and flipped you into the air. You now stared face-to-face at a tar-covered skeleton, his one eye eyeing you for a moment.
"(Y/n)?"
"Nightmare?!" You gasped, recognizing the voice. You were set down with care, the tendrils of tar backing away from you.
"I thought Dream had already come to get you." He murmured, staring down at you in confusion.
You frowned slightly, looking down as the tears came again.
"H-He never did..."
Nightmare winced at your tears, seeing as you were the only thing he still really cared about. And he wouldn't admit it, but he was the reason Dream hadn't come, seemed he'd been a step ahead of the golden-clad brother more often than he thought.
But still, this wasn't so bad.
You weren't running or screaming in fear of him.
"You can come with me if you wish." He spoke up again, catching your attention, "You won't have to worry about being alone, and you'd be safe."
Nightmare held out his arms to you, and you practically flew into them, not minding the tar one bit.
Nightmare patted your head, grinning wide, unseen by you.
Seems Dream had caught up with Nightmare, but was too late for you. With a cruel wave to Dream, Nightmare scooped you up, teleporting off onto a different AU.