ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀᴛʏ💜

Start from the beginning

    April groans as she gets out of bed; the noise in her dorm was enough to drive anyone insane.
It was Monday morning, but it sounded like Saturday morning.

When she noticed that it was not just her dorm mates who were present, she became curious. Faces she had not seen in her room, and the fact that Ibinabor and her friends were also present, made her wonder what was going on. She watches Ibinabor argue with the hostel's perfect Kelsey for a while.

"What is wrong?" She asks Science, who also appears perplexed.

"I just woke up. To meet this!" Science confirms. Meanwhile, April uses her eyes to search for Dumlesi, when she couldn't find her, she turns to the doorway only to see the matron walking in.

April knew Mrs Nnaji only came in during serious issues. And it was so early in the morning. Mrs Nnaji's voice brings her out of her rivalry.

"April Kuti. Step out." Mrs Nnaji calls out, shocking April. Wondering what the problem was, she silently walks over to Mrs Nnaji, noticing her eyes bore holes in her body.
"Good morning. Ma, " April greets politely.

"You said, she was the one you saw?" Mrs Nnaji asks a Junoir student whom April guessed would be in JSS3.

"Yes, ma." The Junoir girls respond. Surprising April who had no idea of what was going on.

"April, do you visit room 7?" Mrs Nnaji asks.

"Yes. That's my friend, Dumlesi's room." April responds oblivious of what was going on.

"Did you visit there yesterday?" Mrs Nnaji says. April could feel everyone's hot gaze on her.

"No!" April responds wondering what was going on.

"Ma. I saw her, she was searching Senior Ibinabor's bag!" The junior girl blurts out, shocking April, whose mouth has suddenly dried up. She could not believe what was happening.

"April?" Mrs Nnaji calls out.

"Ma. I don't know what she is talking about."

"Ma, you heard Oreoluwa," Ibinabor says turning to Mrs Nnaji, who looked like she was trying to comprehend what she was hearing.

Meanwhile, April who suddenly became scared watches Ibinabor and Mrs Nnaji intensely.

"Oreoluwa?" Mrs Nnaji calls out in a questionable tone.

"Ma. I saw her taking the money from Senior Ibinabor's school bag." Oreoluwa says fearlessly, shocking April who didn't know what to say.

"Ma. You heard her." Ibinabor says.

"Ma. I promise, I didn't take any money. I don't even know what she is talking about." April manages to say. "Why are you lying?" She asks turning to the Junoir girl, who surprisingly looked unmoved and fearless.

"Where are your things?" Mrs Nnaji asks while she finds her way in.

"There!" April responds, she doesn't miss the smirk Ibinabor had on her face, that was when it dawned on her it was a set-up, she silently prays a miracle should happen, because she was damn sure, someone had placed the money in her belongings.

"How much did you say it was again?" Mrs Nnaji asks Ibinabor.

"Fifteen thousand five hundred naira," Ibinabor responds.

"Ma, the only money I have in my bag is one thousand seven hundred naira, "April defends. "Those are my belongings." April points at her space.

"Calm down." Science pats April's back.

"I don't even know what money they are talking about." April turns to Science before looking towards Ibinabor's direction, she could see her whispering something to Bright's ears.

"Kelsey, search that!" Mrs Nnaji orders.

  The room seems quiet, to the extent that you could even hear the sound of a pin if dropped. Everyone watches Mrs Nnaji, Kelsey and another senior student go through April's things. Meanwhile, April's heart is beating rapidly. She knew something would go wrong. She watches Mrs Nnaji empty her school bag, what catches her attention was the money which fell along with her pen, that wasn't her money.

Mrs Nnaji patiently counts the money before turning to their direction, April didn't miss the disappointment on her face.

"The money is complete, I thought you said, you had only one thousand seven hundred naira with you?" Mr Nnaji asks.

"Ma. This is a setup!" April says with tears betraying her while she turns to Ibinabor.

"And she still wants to deny it." Bright chides.

"Ma. I have never stolen before I promise you, I..., "

"There is always a first time!" Bright interrupt.

"Bright!" Mrs Nnaji calls out.

  April quickly studies their facial expression, she didn't miss the murmurings amongst Juniors. The look Tibiebi gave her was something she could discern. She could see the mixed expression on Science's face, she couldn't help but wonder if they also thought she stole. Nancy as usual had a bored look of her face.

"April, you will have to come with me. Stealing is a grievous crime in Hallel college. We don't condole such. You, Ibinabor and Oreoluwa will have to follow me to the principal's office." Mrs Nnaji says.

  April burst into tears immediately, wondering if this was the end for her, she hadn't even completed a term and this, she could swear on her life, that Ibinabor had something to do with this, remembering the threat, but she never did anything wrong to her, so why this?

"Ma. Can I come too?" Bright asks catching everyone's attention.

"No!" Mrs Nnaji says sternly. Now every one of you should prepare for classes. It's 6 Am already. "You girls should prepare for school too, once you are done come over to my office. We will go over to the principal once he arrives." Mrs Nnaji says.

"Thanks, Ma," Ibinabor says and leaves almost immediately.

In a few minutes, almost everyone was out busy preparing for school, while April sits on her bed staring into the space.

"Won't you prepare for school?" Science asks while she wets her natural hair. April studies her for a moment before replying.

"You believe I stole it?" April says more like she was asking a question, she could see Science's face soften.

"I never said so!" Science defends.

1,595 WORDS🌹