CHAPTER TWELVE💜

April looks through her bag until she finds what she is looking for. She quickly pulls out her chemistry notebook and pen. She knew she would not be able to concentrate because she was extremely hungry. She did not take a break on purpose because she wanted to spend the money her mother gave her for feeding as efficiently as possible.

She had already spent three-hundred naira. She knew that expecting any additional money or provisions from home was a conversation for another day. Science had urged her to join them, but she refused, claiming she was not hungry.

The voice of the chemistry teacher brings April back to reality. She stares at the man who introduces himself as Mr. Osas. By looking at him, you can tell he does not take nonsense.

He had a pot belle and a bald head. His trouser appeared to be large enough to hold three people's heads. His shirt appeared to be properly ironed. His shoes look like this, I swear to God. April tries to keep a straight face as she wonders what makes him different from her previous teachers. She assumed it was his level of education that had brought him down there. Teachers at Hallel College were qualified and well compensated.

They each studied education in their respective fields. They were not just graduates, but also certified teachers. Hallel Colledge never hires quacks.

"How long will it take everyone to get out their notes?" Mrs. Osas barks. Most of the students mumble, while others grudgingly get their materials, causing some noise in the room.

"You know how I behaved after this class. I might administer my first test." Mr Osas says, causing a commotion in the classroom, and almost everyone starts talking.

"I loathe this man. I am not sure why our worst teachers followed us down here!" Science says to April in a low tone, and April smiles.

"Shut up and get out your notes!" Mr Osas yells. April is taken aback when the class suddenly quiets down.

Mr. Osas walks over to the board and asks a question, causing everyone to murmur.

"The more reason anyone I call to solve this will be punished if he or she does not attempt it!" Mr. Osas says, turning to face the classroom.
"Now, read what is on the board!" He commands.

"0.22Og of anhydrous disodium trioxocarbonate (iv) was reacted with 20cm³ of 5moldm-³ Hcl and the volume of carbon dioxide collected at 23°C and 75mm pressure was 49cm³.
What is the stoichiometry of the reaction?, " The whole class hours.
Meanwhile, Mr Osas nods his head.

"That's splendid. Is Wendy Opurum in the class?" Mr Osas asks.

"Yes sir!" Wendy, who was sitting at the first row, responded by rolling her eyes. She silently wondered if the man was blind or he just felt like mentioning her name.

"What about Nimi Brown?" Mr Osas asks.

"Present sir!" Nimi responds, while April casts a brief glance at him. They make eye contact for a few seconds before she looks away, feeling uncomfortable.

"These are my top students; how about Tibiebi M. Jackson and Flourish Alikor?" Mr Osas asks, while everyone starts murmuring amongst themselves.

"Those that call for noise making?" He asks.

"Flourish Alikor is in the hostel, she isn't feeling well, " Ibinabor responds.
"And Millicent didn't write exams last term, she didn't resume after she was suspended," Ibinabor say. Meanwhile, April couldn't help but glance at her. She had this gentle face, she didn't really know why everyone saw her as a bad person.

"Tibiebi .M. Jackson was suspended?" Mr Osas asks quite surprised.

"Aren't you in this school? "This man is annoying me!" Science comments on April's hearing. While Light chuckles. April knew Science wasn't in the best mood and she was transferring her aggression to the teacher. Who was obviously concerned about the well-being of his students.