ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ💜

April picks up a yam slice and puts it in her mouth. The food wasn't that great, she didn't really find the taste. The hostile atmosphere had caught her attention. But she decided to keep quiet about it.

Her mother and sister had been acting strangely, and she suspected something was wrong.

"April, how was school? I hope it met your expectations." Wunmi queries casually. It was not the same Wunmi she knew. She had a feeling something was up.

"Why not, it is one of the best secondary schools in Rivers State!" Mrs Kuti speaks casually. April looks at her and smiles.

"Hallel College is one of the best schools I have attended thus far!" April smiles.

"Like you have ever seen anything better than this!" Wunmi scoffs. Regardless of how hard April tried to see the bright side, she knew something was wrong somewhere. Her mother coaxes her out of her rivalry, despite her best efforts to convince herself that it was due to the change in environment.

"When your father was alive, both of you attended Brookestone." Mrs. Kuti smiles.

"I still remember!" Wunmi scoffs.

"Sister Wunmi, how is your health?" April tries to strike up a conversation with her older sister. Meanwhile, Mrs Kuti gets up.

"I am going to the market!" Mrs. Kuti announces. April could not ignore the look her sister gave her mother.

Immediately Mrs Kuti was out of sight, she turns to her sister.

"Is something wrong?" April couldn't help but asks. Her sister's expression was devoid of emotion.

"Nothing serious; mum is just being annoying as usual. She stopped me from following her to the market; can you imagine?" Wunmi laughs. April simply smiles.

"Typical Mum, Daniel?" April inquiries.

"I have stopped seeing him!" Wunmi responds. April could see she was struggling to smile. "For Mum's sake!"

April grabs a piece of yam and puts it in her mouth. Wunmi was not the type to follow orders. She knew their mother must have had her in a very tight spot.

"Did you make friends?" Wunmi asks enthusiastically. April knew she was prepared for the gist.

"Few!" April smiles. "They are very nice, too!" She adds.

"I am sure your school has some hotties!" "I am sure your school has some hotties!" She smiles because Wunmi never changes.

"Lots of them. Excellent male species!" April responds by smiling.

"April, hmmm!" Wunmi says, hitting her playfully.

"What? That is what you wanted to hear, correct? If I do not say it, you will be like." She takes a pause and smiles. "April, you pretend a lot!" April attempts to mimic her sister. Meanwhile, Wunmi could not stop laughing.

"You are not serious! So, any crushes or boyfriends? You know you can tell me anything. This a phase when you can get hurt or..., "

"Wunmi, God. I never mentioned having a boyfriend or liking someone!" April attempts to explain.

"April, you pretend a lot!" Wunmi says, causing April to laugh out loud. She knew her sister would undoubtedly make that speech.

"Are you real?" April grins.

"Yes!" Wunmi responds.

"I have a crush on someone," April admits. She could see the smiles widening. "It is just a phase; it will pass. Crushes do not last very long?" April looks at her sister for reassurance.