Chapter 126 - Tanjiro...?

5:31 AM

Sunrise had struck, and the sunlight was shining upon the slayers. It was a beautiful morning, had it not been ruined by the fact that Tanjiro died.

As everyone had been mourning for Tanjiro's untimely death, they started talking about memories they had with him. They heard Isekai say something, and they listened to him. "Thank you. It's because of you giving up your own life... that now... demons have finally been erased from the face of this world..." he told him, taking his friend's hand.

Warriors from the Slayers Corporation and those enrolled in Kimetsu Academy saw the commotion, and had a rough yet correct idea of what happened. Everyone could only stare and hang their heads in sadness and shame, knowing they lost a golden-hearted comrade of the Slayers Corporation. A lot of people knew him, and wished him well no matter what came his way.

The Hashira and Kakushi, who arrived a bit late, saw everything. Giyu looked at Tanjiro, and sighed. He slid down the crater, and stood behind Isekai. "...I'm grateful for your help. We all are. With you, and Tamayo's assistance, we were able to give the window Isekai needed to take Kibutsuji down," he said, giving words for his student.

The mourning went on for about a quarter-hour, before Isekai started to hear rumbling noises. Suddenly, Tanjiro's left arm regenerated, and the mass on his eye started to vanish. He opened his eyes, and they were plum red.

He started to shake violently, and masses began forming and fading rapidly around his body. No one had any doubts about what was happening. Tanjiro was becoming a demon. Isekai stood up, and Kanao got behind him, afraid of what Tanjiro could possibly be going through. Giyu, frightened, started backing down, not sure what to do. Isekai tried looking around, attempting to locate a sword to use. "COME ON...! I NEED A SWORD, NOW! IF I DON'T DO THIS... HE'S GOING TO... ah!" he thought, frantically searching around for a sword.

He looked behind him, and noticed Kanao's sword in her sheath. He tried taking it, but Kanao stopped him. "I WON'T LET YOU KILL TANJIRO!" she yells, trying to stop Isekai. "KANAO, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS RIGHT NOW! YOU KNOW YOUR BOYFRIEND'S BECOMING A DEMON, AND YOU'RE WILLING TO SACRIFICE ALL OF HUMANITY JUST TO KEEP HIM ALIVE?!" he replies, questioning Kanao's move.

She began to try to pull the blade back from her friend's hands, and Isekai tried taking it from her. The latter began losing ground, since he could only work with one arm. Zenitsu got up and tackled her aside, allowing Isekai to finish the job.

He picked up Kanao's pink sword and held the blade at Tanjiro's neck, hesitating to end his life. "...I... I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS...!" he muttered, trying to get the will to decapitate his best friend. "...PLEASE... I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS...!" he continued, tearing up.

"GRAAAAAAAAAAH!" he screamed, gathering his bearings. Isekai got the willpower he needed, and decapitated Tanjiro using Kanao's sword. At that moment, Kanao managed to free herself from Zenitsu, and saw Tanjiro's severed head on the ground, and Isekai kneeling down in anguish. "Why, Muzan...?! Why did you have to do this...?!" he questioned. Kanao pushed her friend out of the way, and embraced Tanjiro's head as she cried.

-=FLASHBACK=-

Narrator: Muzan Kibutsuji

I guess, what Ubuyashiki said was right. "You are not eternal. You won't ever be, but I know what will be and is immortal. It is nothing but human emotions. They are indestructible," he told me. We could communicate telepathically after I devoured him, despite him being dead. Although I could cut him off whenever I wished, I wanted to listen to him.