Chapter 70 - Nikko no sozo

Monday, March 13, 2030

Today, the school decided to have the staff and their students' time for the upcoming night spent in a hotel, as the entire school liked to see the Tsunan Snow Festival. They decided to head towards the Niigata Prefecture the upcoming night. After coming home and giving their regards to their families, around 12 PM, the students of Class 1-A, excluding Murata and Genya for some reason, met up at the Kamado Residence.

They all walked towards the school, and the rest of the school was waiting there. Even the janitor, Urokodaki, was there. After 3 2-story buses came to the premises to pick up the passengers, they all went in according to the paper. The students of 1-A were no doubt happy that they got the second floor, sitting above Class 1-C. After handing their belongings to the stowaways, which were put in a storage area on the bus, they all went in and they all drove off.

Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture, 1:30 PM

Nearly half the class was asleep on their chairs, others staring out of their windows or busy doing their own thing. Isekai sat next to Tanjiro, as per the seating plan. The latter was still broken up about Kanao, which shouldn't be questionable. Isekai tapped his shoulder, raising his eyebrow, signaling his question.

"It should be obvious, Isekai. Of course I'm still upset about Kanao! We both swore an oath to destroy the demons, and she joined them, all because I failed to keep her safe." His friend just sighed. "Dude, look. You're already aware of my plan to get her back. I want her back, too, not as much as you, of course, but I want her back pretty badly. Having her around as a close friend isn't even the main fucking reason I planned the scheme. It was you. I wouldn't dare see you never put up a smile for the rest of your time here. Keep that head above the clouds, and don't worry about Kanao. I'll find a way to take her back from the clutches of that damn criminal. I wouldn't know how to look at you if we failed to save her."

Tanjiro agreed and just tried to relax. Isekai stood up and went over to his bag. He pulled out a cookie and passed it over to the former, while also pulling out a gaming device. He sat down and inserted a game cartridge into his handheld device. "Look, man. If you can't do something, ask us to help you. Some of us know how it feels to have someone we love taken away from us so abruptly, whether or not we saw it coming. We'll make it our goal to assist others how we can."

Tanjiro finished his cookie, and proceeded to fall asleep in his chair.

Dream, ??:?? AM/PM

Tanjiro's consciousness woke up, and he found Masuki, Yurika, and Ayato in front of him. "Take a seat, kiddo," Masuki said. Tanjiro sat down and asked what's going on. "Something bad is going to happen at that festival. Take caution. A demon of a high power is going to be there. I want you to be prepared. I don't know about your next power, but it's probably gonna be from either my grandmother from another end of the family, or my uncle," Masuki explained, also answering Tanjiro's "next magic" question before he could even ask.

Ayato pulled out a flaming sword out of thin air, and held it out in front of Tanjiro, as if bestowing upon him a king's crown. "This was a creation of all of the brightly burning hopes and dreams welded together. This was originally for my grandson, but he passed it on to you. Here. Take it. You'll have an extra skill in your arsenal. You can pull a flaming blade out of thin air wherever you wish. Wake up, now. They're passing off some refreshments, and your little buddy's gonna give you one."

Tanjiro opened his eyes, an illusory flame burning on his right hand, signaling his new power. An attendant at the bus was carrying around a cart, passing a delicious meal consisting of a burger patty lathered with gravy, a small mound of rice, and 2 soft-boiled eggs, ordered by Isekai. He passed a plate to Tanjiro when he woke up. "You alright, man? We're already in Kawaba, in other words, we've entered the Tone Prefecture. We're almost halfway there. It's barely 2:14 PM, and you seem really hungry. Go ahead and eat up. Don't worry about me. I have my own plate," he said, chowing down on his food.