Chapter 62 - Ayato Kamado

Gyokko then spread his arms out, much like the posture of a deity, and so appeared about 4 vortexes. Out of them came many hungry and starving swamp demons. All four of them prepared themselves, and charged forward to kill as many as possible. But their efforts to kill all of them were in vain, as more demon minions arrived to the battle faster than they could eliminate them.

Genya was getting gripped left and right. "Damn it, there's too many! I'm gonna have to get us out of here..." he said to himself as he deployed his wings, slicing all nearby demons to bits, as he picked up the three of them and left to safety. At least, two of them, those being Masachika and Isekai. One of who he grabbed was a demon purely by accident, and Isekai sliced his neck off. "Wait, if that was a demon, then where's Tanjiro?!" Genya wondered. In the middle of the cluster was him, trying to avoid their attacks. Unfortunately, too many of them struck him, causing him to lose his stamina. He was knocked into the air, then began slowly falling to the ground as the hungry swamp demons were ready to reach for and devour him.

"Finally, a link was established! Now for the manifestation to begin." a male voice gleefully exclaimed. Tanjiro's body took in a surge of energy, as a blue wind explosion occurred, sending the nearby demons flying about.

Isekai looked at him with surprise. "Another one...? Which magic is it this time?"  he asked himself.

Tanjiro then looked at his palms, which were embedded with magical marks that read: "Ancient Winds." Tanjiro then internally asked anyone who may be in there if something's happening. The voice then said: "Nothing wrong, Tanjiro. It's just my magic manifesting into you. All you need to know is that my name is Ayato. Now, let me fight for you." he explained, also introducing himself as Ayato Kamado.

Then, in the control of this Ayato person, Tanjiro's body moved, and magical skills were used constantly, sending swamp demons flying around. After constant air explosions and blasts going off and about, Ayato reached Gyokko, and blasted an extremely powerful explosion, which Gyokko successfully resisted.

Gyokko wasn't even afraid nor shocked about what happened. In fact, he felt nostalgic and happy. He began to cackle, and said: "Is this really it...?! The coming back of a dead man?! I recognize that magic... Ayato Kamado... the final Hashira of the Edo Period before the Corporation vanished for 400 years!"

Ayato growled, and yelled out: "Alright, Managi! You've gone too far! Not only have you disrespected our code of camaraderie, but you turn to the darkness and become a high subordinate of that bastard Kibutsuji?! I fought with you in that stormy day so that you could see how wrong you were! Not only did you not listen to me when I tried to remind you of our unbreakable bond, you even decided to kill me so heartlessly, no emotion or sorrow, neither regret, even after I decided I'd spare you!"

Tanjiro then mouthed: "Managi...?"

Gyokko could only laugh, and cackle even more. When he composed himself, he then replied: "Oh, no, no, no, I remembered our code of camaraderie far too well. But, I had an opportunity for power, for beauty, for immortality! You were all just my lackeys in the end, and I never even got CLOSE to considering you as a leader for us! Our clan, the Misato Clan, I now lead, and with a proud, one or two million minions at my side!" with a proud face. He then composed himself, then added, "I did, however, feel a certain feeling the moment I killed you. I didn't know what it was, since the thought of it was so blurry I couldn't make it out, but all I knew is that it was a very ugly feeling, and that I needed to get rid of that to reach the true apex of beauty that is soon to be me!"

Ayato then tightened Tanjiro's fists, and yelled: "You... You killed our entire clan just for that?! You wanted the clan master title for yourself, and you couldn't wait?! You were supposed to be the successor since I intended on retiring 2 weeks after the day of our unexpected duel! One way or another, I would have died early! I was terminally ill, and they guaranteed that I was going to die two weeks after we had that duel, so I wanted to pass Clan Master title on to you, since you were the one I trusted best! I wanted the last moments of my time spent with my friends, my family, and my comrades, like you! And when I was ready to put myself down, in my final will, it would be that I pass on the Misato Clan to you!"

Tanjiro then felt all of the sadness Ayato was feeling. He could fully feel his regret for not finishing him off when he did. Gyokko then got angry about it, and yelled: "I wanted the Misato Clan for myself not because of the power it would give me, but because I wanted to be better than you! Each and every time I challenged you to a duel, you always won! I took your training tips and worked around my weaknesses. When I finally turned into a demon, I KNEW I could beat you, or so I thought. You still won, and you could have saved the Misato Clan right then and there, but you decided to be an idiot and spare me!"

Ayato decided to let go of the control, giving it back to Tanjiro, who unsheathed his blade the moment he gripped his own body. He prepared a battle stance, and said: "Prepare yourself, Gyokko. He had no one better to ask for as a comrade, and you betrayed his trust. I won't let this go unavenged."

Ayato was now in his mind. He sighed, and requested something of him. "Listen, kid. I'm gonna help you. Don't worry about falling down or losing balance. I'll be there to back you up to the best of my ability. Kill Managi for me, alright?"

Tanjiro nodded, ignited flames on his sword, and tightened his grip. When Gyokko looked at him with determination, he could see Tanjiro, with the spirit of Ayato Kamado behind him.

"This is your end, Managi."

To be continued...