Chapter 80.5 - Fateful Night of the Tsugikuni Twins

I always questioned how an untrained Yoriichi was better than a trained swordsman. He always clung to my mother's left side whenever he saw her. "How could someone who clings to their mother that much become a strong samurai?" I repeatedly asked myself. The night before the day marked for me to leave for the temple struck, and all I could feel was dread as I lie on that bed. I eventually drifted off to sleep.

6 hours later...

Someone knocked on my door, and I woke up, then went to answer it. Outside was Yoriichi on both knees, looking at the ground, emotionless. I asked him why he came to my room at night.

"Mother has passed," he said. I questioned his words, but he never answered. "Tomorrow, I leave for the temple," he added. He then showed me the flute I had made him when we were younger. It was for the purpose of me being there if Yoriichi was ever in need of help. "Whenever I look at this, all I think about is you. I will treasure this relic that you gave me..." Yoriichi said, a smile on his face. He then left the house, and waved goodbye to me one final time.

I questioned why he cherished that thing as well. It was rubbish, and it didn't even correctly play notes. Why did he cherish that thing so badly? I shrugged that question off for now, and ran to her bedroom. On a table was a diary of sorts, and I opened it up to read it. It turns out mother had been suffering from a disease that affected the condition of her left side.

Her left side... her left... no. Yoriichi had never been clinging to her side, he had been trying to support her, since she was suffering from that disease. He knew about it, but I didn't. I think it was at that moment that I began taking in more furious feelings of envy and jealousy. I wanted him to die. He just does not belong to this world. Why won't you just die, Yoriichi...?

It was morning, and I could hear some commotion outside. "Where's Yoriichi?" my father asked. Another man told him that they searched the temple for Yoriichi, but they didn't find him. In an unexpected way, my wish came true. Whether he encountered a bear, fell off a cliff or drowned, my wish came true.

I would become the successor of the house once again. I lived the rest of my life in tranquility after that. Until that night... until that cursed night...

To be continued...