Chapter 31 - Kanao & Masachika VS Kanae

Shortly after Masachika and Kanao were escorted to their places in a wasteland, and the battle began after a short delay.

"Sister may seem to be quite frail, seeing her happy-go-lucky tone and face, but she's no less than powerful... if I recall, she's stronger than Isekai by a very small thread..." Kanao mutters. Masachika hears her, and asks, "So, what's your idea?" "We avoid combat as much as possible. When you're fighting her, only run if you're SURE you can get away. Her eyes are quite keen. I've played Hide-and-Seek with her a lot as a kid, and not once did she not locate me."

"Yoohoo... Anyone there?" Kanae called, walking around the area. Her ear perked up when she heard something.

Kanao and Masachika were hiding behind a small place with spiky rocks, near a border of the area. They constantly moved locations as time passed, eventually leaving them with 15 minutes on the test. "Hoo... I'm feeling a bit thirsty..." Kanao mutters, tugging on her shirt. "Want some water?" Kanae prompted, gesturing to a bottle of water on her hand.

"Yes, thank you, Masachika." she gleefully blurted as she chugged half the bottle. "That wasn't me. I didn't bring any water," Masachika replied, confused. "Then who-" Kanao questioned as the realization hit her like an arrow. She creaked her head to the right to see Kanae sitting down next to her.

"Hello," she greeted. "KYAAAAA!" she screamed whilst instinctively swinging her sword, trying to ward off her adoptive sister. Kanae jumped back and fired some explosive blooms.

"Was Kanao really that dried up that she didn't pay attention to whoever gave the bottle?" Tanjiro questions, scratching his head. Shinobu sighed, and answered him. "Well, she loves drinking things. She wouldn't turn down a chance to take some Ramune, really."

"Explains that moment during that one time where Tanjiro and Kanao went out for a short date. She had ordered 2 large cups of iced tea," Isekai chimes in, thinking back. Shinobu raised her eyebrow. "How do you know about that?" She asked as Isekai conjured a Flaming Seer's Eye.

"This thing acts like a mental security camera," he explains, closing his eyes. "Ah. Wait, YOU STALKED HER?!" she questions, now both angry and confused. "Cool down, I don't got a crush on her or anything. I just like watching friends having their romance moments. I do this a lot with Aoi."

"Come on, come back here! I just wanna talk!" Kanae requested. "UH, NO YOU DO NOT." Masachika replied, frightened by his teacher's dark, sadistic look.

Kanao escaped, but Masachika was still being chased. He had been running for a good 2 minutes, not stopping to even look behind him, as Kanae would never stop chasing him, no matter how long it had been.

3 minutes later...

Masachika had finally gone out of Kanae's sight, and was able to rest in some shade. There were only 10 minutes left on the test.

Kanao was creeping around, attempting to avoid Kanae. Eventually, she and Masachika bump into each other. "Oh, Kanao. What now? We only have 10 minutes left to survive," Masachika asks, wiping sweat off of his forehead.

Kanao looked away from him to try to look at the field to locate Kanae. "Just hide out until the end! We clearly can't challenge her," she said, looking back at Masachika, who apparently vanished. "What the... Masachika?! Where did you go?!"

Elsewhere on the land...

A now unconscious Masachika was being carried by Kanae, who tied a rope around him, declaring him captured and defeated. "Masachika of Team E has been marked defeated," Tengen announces.

"Ah. This is bad," Kanao comments, running off.

Later...

The remaining one had been hopping along, hoping to avoid her sister. It wasn't long before they came into contact with each other.

"Ah, Kanao! Come on, surrender already. I've got your friend, and you don't wanna end up beaten like he did, right?" Kanae suggested, putting her hands together. Kanao drew her sword, knowing there was absolutely no escape whatsoever. "Knowing there's absolutely no escape, I won't go down without a fight!"

The sisters locked horns in a fierce battle, which lasted for quite a while. It wasn't ironic that Kanae gained the upper hand, due to Kanao's slight lack of inexperience with sword play. Kanao had been on the defensive the entire fight, sometimes trying for a failed attempt at retaliation. Just when the student thought she'd fail this test, she found something on the floor.

"I remember quite well that nee-san didn't like it when someone flashed her eyes... It seems that they're sensitive. I need to grab that thing... But first, I have to get her off of me!"  she planned before making a few quick slashes, then traps her inside a three-layered Root Shield to stop her from getting close to her quickly.

As Kanae tried to slice her way out, Kanao grabbed the flashlight on the ground and prepared for what's coming next. As her adoptive elder sister came out and tried to attack her, she turned on the flashlight and aimed at her eyes, blinding her.

"OW! MY EYES! I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING!" she screamed, swinging all around her. "Checkmate," she stated, using Root Wrap to fully subdue her Art teacher. When Kanae recovered her eyesight, she realized she couldn't move whatsoever.

"Eh? What's this? Oh. Oooh... oh..." Kanae questioned as she realized the situation she was in. 

Kanao sat down, chugging up the remaining water that Kanae gave to her in a bottle. "The seventh match is over! Kanao and Masachika are victorious!" Tengen announces.

Isekai munched on a cupcake, everyone else was cheering, and Tanjiro simply smiled. "The next match will be between... Tanjiro and Zenitsu, also known as Team D, against Shinobu Kocho."

The realization hit Tanjiro like a social media ping. He had not the slightest idea what Shinobu could do to him knowing this is a fight test. "Shoot."

Shinobu made an evil grin, and giggled a little.

" I T ' S   T I M E . "

To be continued...