Chapter 68 - It's High Moon

After leaving the laboratory where Tamayo worked, Isekai stopped at MizuTech to get down to the Slayers' Headquarters, in hopes of getting updates on another form of research. Isekai took the elevator, inserted and turned a key, and pressed a purple button. It took him down to the base of operations.

The elevator doors opened, and out of them came Isekai. Genya, now with a new hair color that was black was there to test out a new handgun they developed. He was the first to see Isekai, and ran up to tell him the results. "Hey, they were able to not only complete research on the ammunition, but they were also able to create a bullet that could kill demons. I'm testing out their new MZT-22, a sweet handgun that has almost no kickback. Shame that this thing isn't spread fire though, a western shotgun would definitely support me better. But, eh, you get what you get, I guess," he says, reloading the gun. "Anyway, you need something?"Genya asked.

"In fact, yes. Tonight, I want you to kill a group of demons. We'll give you a substantial amount of ammo, and you're going to test the bullets. Take this map. Off a mile from here should be a small demon encampment housing 3-10 demons. We're giving you a strap-on camera for this mission, so we ourselves can verify what happens," he explains. Genya agrees to it, and he follows Isekai to the armory. He collected some boxes of the ammo, and gave it to Genya, then strapped a camera on his head.

"Alright, you're good to go." he said. Genya left the base shortly after, waiting for nightfall to begin his mission.

Sunday, February 19, 2030 - Marked Demon Encampment, 7:15 PM

Genya was on a tree, looking at the encampment. There were tents, a fire, and 3 dead humans being cooked above the fire. Next to it was a steel cage, containing a whole family inside. They were all afraid for their lives, no doubt.

An earpiece was attached to Genya, and it had Isekai at the other side. "Alright. Wait until they've filled their bellies. Then, you can attack them," he commanded. Genya mildly nodded and waited. About ten minutes later, they finished their meal, and Genya took that chance to test out the MZT-22. He leapt down from the tree, and used his blade to cut off one of the demons' necks upon landing on them. He followed up by shooting the other two, also killing them, which proved the Nichirin bullets to be a complete success. "Huh. That was easy," he commented.

"Don't leave, you're not done yet. No, it's not about the caged family, it's about the demons coming out of those tents!" Isekai said as more demons crawled out of them, then began to charge at Genya. He started by shooting five of them in quick succession, one of them taking 2 bullets purely because Genya didn't aim at its head the first time. He then jumped behind another, cutting its neck off. He then followed up by trying to shoot, before realizing he ran out of ammo. He was about to take a strike, so he used his Blood Magic to solidify his left arm, blocked with it, and took the 2-second window to reload.

After that, he swiftly dealt with the rest. The demon encampment has been taken down, and so, Genya's mission was complete. "Good one, Gen. Free the family and take them to Slayers HQ. The police department will take them from there. You'll find your payment nearby the Rengoku memorial."

Slayers HQ, 7:40 PM

Genya took them down to the headquarters via elevator, and the police took them from there. He went to said statue, and found a box labeled "For Genya", signifying it was for him. He tore it open and found a reward of yen, and some ranking points written on cards, the total amount being 75, and a 25 bonus for completing research. "Wait, I have enough to go up towards Hinoto!" Genya realized. He ran over to the rank desk and turned in his ranking slips, and the woman nodded.

"Well done, Genya Shinazugawa. You've ranked up to Hinoto," she announced. She wiped the "Tsuchinoe" writing from the back of his hand, and wrote "Hinoto" instead. Genya was no doubt happy about it. He was getting one step closer to being a top swordsman. After thinking about what to do next, he decided to go order a western shotgun, since his current one was beginning to wear out. Unfortunately, guns weren't able to be created at the moment. He returned the MZT-22, picked up his fixed western gun, and left the base.

Outside, he met up with Murata on the way home. They talked for a bit about ranged weaponry, before hearing sounds of growling and crawling from an alley. They went into the area, and saw a weird man who took the appearance of a short frail man with a very thin and skeletal body, covered with veins and wrinkles and is currently crouching. His most noticeable feature is a large bump on the top of his head, accompanied by two curved horns.

Before Genya could ask: "What the fuck is this?", the weird hermit-like person began to run, or, in this case, rapidly crawl away, with Genya and Murata following. The skeleton-like man took a turn to run out of the alley, and before Genya and Murata could follow, another one popped in, this one looking much more relaxed and laid-back, and blasted them away with an air attack.

He chuckled a little, and said: "I recommend you don't follow us. It's not a good idea." as he left the place.

"Who was that...?" Murata asked. Genya shrugged, but they both knew one thing: They had to keep investigating.

To be continued...