Chapter 85.5 - Mission Complete

Kokushibo and the others returned from the mission, somewhat scathed, but alive. "Well done. You four have successfully completed the mission. Although, I wonder how it took you three hours... Surely it didn't take you that long to scrape up a measly pile of slayers?" Muzan congratulated them, also questioning their tardiness.

"Forgive us, master, but a military lieutenant was held in that outpost as its leader, and that area had at least three thousand people..." Doma explained, scratching his head. Kokushibo huffed, admitting that he had been caught off-guard by their lieutenant. "Well, whatever the case, Sinistrius had been watching you from afar. He saw the base detonate with his very own eyes."

-=FLASHBACK=-

Sinistrius was watching from a hill, and had a good view of the base and those inside it. "THEY GOOD FIGHTER... ME WANT THEM TO ALSO BE MASTER... BUT THEY TOO WEAK..." Sinistrius grumbled, disappointed. He wanted to consider the Upper Moons his other masters, but they were simply too weak.

But, in a matter of seconds, he changed his mind. The outpost blew up, and when everything fell to the ground, all that remained was flames, debris, and eradicated bodies, some of which lost their original forms. Sinstrius was taken by shock, and knelt down. "YOU WORTHY OF BEING MASTER! YOU FOUR ARE ALSO MASTER!" he yelled, glad that they proved themselves worthy.

-=FLASHBACK END=-

"So, as a result, Sinistrius is at your command now. Well done, you four. Kanao, Doma, come with me," Muzan congratulated them, also ordering the two to follow him. They went into the laboratory, and Kanao entered the tube. Doma booted up the systems, and began trying to fix her condition again.

Inside her mind...

Kanao and her soul were battling again. "Can't you just let me out yourself? You're my soul, are you not?" Kanao asked, questioning the requirement to be let out of her transformation. "I would have helped you the moment you woke up if that was the case, but even you know it can't be that simple," her soul responded, kicking her away.

Kanao coughed, applying Root Burst to hinder its movement. "Although you're weaker than me, you're clearly adept at holding your own!" Kanao's soul complimented her, conjuring three Dark Criticals.

Root Burst (Multiple roots burst out of the ground, impaling their target. It can drain the target's blood, which converts into more power for the user.)

Dark Critical (A ball of dark energy is hurled at the opponent. The explosion range isn't very large, but the damage is quite concerning.)

When Kanao blocked all three of the incoming attacks, a blue lightning bolt flashed in front of her. "Wah!" she yelped, falling back. "The scientist's attacking again? Damn it! Kanao!" the soul called out. "I can't stop this one. We need to fight more! There's another mental dimension of yours; we need to head there immediately! We have to increase the activity here, to a point where it tears open a hole to the dimension I was talking about!" it explained. Kanao nodded, and they both locked horns.

"So this is how it is, huh, brain? Well I know how to put up a fight! I'm gonna kick your persistent ass here and now!" Doma yelled, putting the machine into maximum output. Inside her brain, blue lightning bolts were shooting everywhere. The soul repeatedly kept getting hit, although it had no effect.

Kanao's eyes opened, and they were blank. She began to scream. Her head was in constant pain, since the tools were constantly electrocuting her. Muzan went into the laboratory, and asked what was going on. "The tools are beginning to hurt her, but this is normal when I kick the machine into maximum gear. Soon enough, I'll be able to eliminate what's causing this," Doma explained, sweating in fear.

Kanao's consciousness charged up a max-power attack, and the soul charged up a different attack. "Solar Shot!" Kanao yelled, firing a pink and green energy beam. "Soul Arts: Ankoku no Konzetsu!" the soul roared, firing a large sphere made of dark energy. The energy collision forced the fabric of space in her brain to crack, opening the "other mental dimension" her soul spoke of.

Soul Arts: Ankoku no Konzetsu [Dark Eradication] (The user charges up a high amount of black energy and launches it at the opponent. This deals lethal damage if not dealt with properly.)

Solar Shot (Kanao's newest technique, formulated in the middle of her rest after her duels with the soul. The user fires a large energy wave made of floral energy. This is best used in daylight.)

The energy collision put too much strain on the gentle spatial fabric in her mind, and both attacks blew up, forcing Kanao into the other dimension. Unfortunately, it left her soul behind. Her soul closed up the tear inside her mind, leaving the other plane now inaccessible.

"...hello? Are you there...?" Kanao asked. "Hey... come back here!" she added, sweating. "Come back... please! You're all I have left...!" she begged, clearly upset that her only companion was gone.

"Left alone, again."
"You're pathetic without it, Kanao."
"You're nothing without her."
"Just give up. Your human life is gone."

The brain waves then stopped, and Doma thought he finally made it. "I did it... I killed the factor causing this!" Doma exclaimed, excited. "Haha... HAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHA!" he laughed devilishly, clearly proud of his feat. Muzan then walked into the room, clapping his hands. "Well done, Doma. According to your little 'celebration', it seems that you were able to stop the periodic fainting," Muzan assumed. "Yes, I have. And now, Kanao's become a corrupted weapon for war!" Doma exclaims, laughing afterward.

At the slayers' outpost...

Sanemi was drinking a soda cup, when he noticed a notification involving something important popped up. He tapped the notification, and a digital map of Japan opened up. "What?" Sanemi questions, looking at a marked location by the name of Outpost C "Bomb". It read that the outpost was destroyed. "They destroyed our bombing outpost?" Sanemi questioned, tapping the mark to look at the details.

"Blown up by unknown means" the screen said, referring as to how the outpost was blown up. He checked the member list and chose the "alive" filter. As the screen said, no one lived the explosion, including Marvin. "Damn it!" the Hashira commented, texting Kagaya about it.

To be continued...