Chapter 43 - Gift Opening

When the nineteen students returned to Isekai's house from that destroyed base, they looked at their gifts from underneath the tree. Everyone was eager to just tear the wrapping off and look at what was inside. Sanemi, while he was there, he decided to just pass their gifts.

Tanjiro tore his open first. He got the music player he wanted, and on a tag it read: "From your old buddy, Isekai Mizuki." He was no less than beyond ecstatic about what he got.

Kanao slowly undid the wrapping and the ribbon. She found an egg. "What the fu-" she nearly swore before reading a note. It read: "When in doubt, throw an egg." "...yeet?" she lightly yelled, throwing the egg at a wall. Instead of a yolk, out came a pack of Nag Champa Incense sticks.  "Eh?!" she questioned before rushing toward the gift coming out of that eggshell. She could see a small note attached to it. It read: "From: Tanjiro Kamado" and had a photo of him with the "I dunno" gesture. Kanao giggled and stuffed the stick pack in her bag.

Isekai and Zenitsu did theirs next. Their new pets were excited to meet them. They thanked those who gifted them their new companions and went on to spend a little time with them.

Inosuke tore open his gift, with a half-surprised and half-"expected-this" feeling. He put on the shirt, and felt ecstatic with what he got. When Sabito and Makomo got their gifts, they felt moderately embarrassed when they realized who bought the gift. The others opened their gifts, gave their thanks and warmest welcomes, and that day, everyone had a happy time, especially after what the heck just went down.

And soon enough, they returned to school, and the students had their first quarter exams graded and ranked. "I'll rank the students' scores here." Kanae announced, rapidly writing on a chalkboard.

1st - Inosuke Hashibira (171 / 175)

2nd - Isekai Mizuki (169 / 175)

3rd - Kaigaku Inadama (167 / 175)

4th and 5th - Kanao Tsuyuri & Sabito (160 / 175)

6th - Makomo (155 / 175)

7th - Tanjiro Kamado (154 / 175)

8th - Muichiro Tokito (152 / 175)

9th - Nezuko Kamado (144 / 175)

10th - Yushiro Yamamoto (133 / 175)

11th and 12th - Ozaki & Susamaru (129 / 175)

13th - Genya Shinazugawa (120 / 175)

14th and 15th - Masachika Kumeno & Zenitsu Agatsuma (119 / 175)

16th - Murata (115 / 175)

17th - Yahaba (100 / 175)

18th and 19th - Aoi Kanzaki & Yuichiro Tokito (90 / 175)

"You all did well this time! Although, of course, there's room for improvement, especially for those in the bottom 4." Kanae congratulated them, happy that they all passed the exams. Aoi was rather disappointed about her score. "I even crammed twice, too..." she muttered with her head on her desk.

Yahaba shrugged, and said, "I never had high hopes for myself. I'm surprised I even passed."

Isekai was a bit down about his ranking, but was overall still happy for getting high points. "Man, I'm not first this time?" he asked himself with a skeptical face. Inosuke was visibly happy he beat him, but was also disappointed at the same time."Hah... I actually beat half-and-half head! Only by two points, so that ain't very big of a jump."

"Tch... Third place..." Kaigaku muttered. Zenitsu raised his eyebrow, asking his rival: "Aren't you happy about that?" Kaigaku looked at him, then said: "I am. I just don't like showing it."

Kanae then opened a calendar on her phone. "Anyway, students, in about 3 weeks to a month, your second midterms will begin. Study up until then, alright-" she tried to announce, as she was interrupted by falling asleep in the middle of nowhere. "What the fuck...? Did Ms. Kocho just fall asleep?" Kaigaku asked, rather weirded out about it. Tanjiro then muttered: "Something's wrong here..."

Outside...

"Fall asleep!" a silhouette chanted softly, as a wave of energy fired towards Aoi. She was hit, and knocked out cold. Inosuke caught her before she hit the ground, and told the others she fell asleep.

"Aoi's fallen too?! Alright, everyone, be careful with what you might try to do-" Isekai tried advising everyone as he fell asleep as well. Kanao was taken by shock. "Isekai, too?!"

Murata drew out his sword and transformed it into a bow, knowing something could see them. "Guys, you may not agree, but I know something can see us. If it's a demon, I don't know why it's out at daytime..." Tanjiro then replied: "Only sunlight can kill them. It's a cloudy day right now, but you have a good point. Some Blood Magic might be making us fall asleep..." he said as Aoi began to stand up.

*licks his lips* "Kill them." The silhouette commanded.

Aoi drew out her sword and swung at Tanjiro, who immediately reacted and blocked. "Aoi, what has gotten into you?!" he angrily asked the asleep Aoi. With a distorted voice, she said, "I'm controlling her. If you can find me, I'll show myself!"

Inosuke knocked Tanjiro away, and held her down himself. "I'll handle her! You guys find what the hell is controlling her!" he requested as he began to hold Aoi off. Isekai began to stand up as well, and Kanao, along with Kaigaku, immediately held him down. "Over there!" Murata exclaimed, drawing his bow quickly and firing a piercing arrow, which hit the predator's neck. It leapt away and busted into the room, tearing the arrow off its neck, and regenerated. Isekai and Aoi, both of who were still asleep, came to the man's defense. "Ah, you must have many, many questions about who I am right now. I am Enmu, Lower Moon One of the Twelve! I'm a man who can make people fall asleep with my magic." he introduced himself as a real eye appeared on his palm.

"Gross...!" Yahaba muttered. "I'm controlling them by using ANOTHER Blood Magic. It's called Dream Puppet! While entities are currently asleep, I can control them and make them do as I want!" Enmu explained.

Hypnosis (Eyes will appear on the user's body and fire energy blasts that immediately force the target asleep. Can be countered with reflective objects.)

Dream Puppet (While the target(s) is asleep, the user can control their body, making them do as they command.)

"Well then, are you ready to fight your friends, or, should I say, the entire school?! Huehahahaha!" he prompted them before maniacally cackling, as more students came pouring through the doors of Class 1-A. "HOLY-" Kaigaku nearly swore, before Genya stopped him. "Watch that mouth, boy!"

"Will we even be able to fight these puppets off?!" Yushiro asked his comrades. Enmu left the room with Isekai and Aoi whilst his minions readied their fists or weapons. "Alright then, let's do this!" Tanjiro said, readying his fists.

To be continued...