[41] Understanding Your Sorrow

"Woah!" Hina raised her hand to cover her mouth; she was in awe at how spectacular the entrance to Naoto's school was. She's been here a couple of times, but seeing it decorated with such nice colours really made it even more special. "[name]-chan, [name]-chan!"

"Yes, Hina-san?"

"You should be more excited! This is Naoto's first school festival as a middle schooler. If it weren't for you, I'm sure he wouldn't of even thought to invite me to come today." Hina attached herself to your arm and pulled you into the school's premises.

As she mentioned, the two of you had been asked to come see the school festival by Naoto himself. He even knocked on your door and gave you a hand-made card to tell you about this event. "We have all day, no need to rush." She was way too hyper. Even though your school had already done a festival this year, Hina couldn't wait to experience all the fun once more.

"I can't help it. This is also the first time Naoto wants me to see him. It's a big deal for me!"

"So... What exactly is his class doing? He said that it was a surprise, but do you know?"

Hina placed a finger to her chin, "I think he told me, but I kinda forgot. Oh... what class was he in again?" She always did have a small memory. You shook you head at her forgetfulness and pointed at the main building.

"Let's just go in and check everything out. I'm sure we'll end up finding Naoto where we least expect it. Oh, also, Hina-san... why have you been looking at me with sparkles in your eyes? Do I have something on my face?"

"It's because you're finally calling me 'Hina'! Even though it's not with 'chan', you've made considerable progress. It only took you over a year." She was about to tear up. You should've known it was because of that—when you had first called her by her given name, she didn't react or anything. Seems like she was just holding it all back.

"Let's just go in..."

。。。

You don't think you've had this much fun since... ever. Not even your school festival was as enjoyable this this one. Then again, your class didn't even have an exhibit because everyone unanimously decided that they would help out their clubs, leaving the class to have no activity.

As you two were wandering around, Hina liked to pull you into each and every classroom. She was especially excited for the haunted house exhibit; but when you both went inside, she was the one who begged you to leave with her.

Your favourite one so far would have to be the solar system class. You didn't know how those kids made it, but it was so detailed, with the huge papier-mâché planets and the wall stars—it was stunning. To think this was made by first-years in middle school too... Naoto had some competition.

"Hina-san, why did Naoto want me to come anyways? Shouldn't he really be inviting you and Takemichi-san?"

"...Are you that oblivious?! Come on, [name]-chan! Didn't that invitation he gave you answer that question?" The handwritten invitation didn't really give any specifics about his intentions—only the date, time and location of his school.

"No, it didn't. What do you mean by oblivious?"

"Argh...!" She feigned her heart being in pain by holding her hands close to her chest, "Naoto's going to be so sad!"

"Huh?"

"Hey, Naoto! That's your sister, right?" You overheard a young boys voice to your left, "Who's that other girl? Her friend? Oh~ She's kinda cute... Why are you looking at me like that, Naoto?"

"Fujiwara, go back inside the classroom! And don't look at my sister's friend!" It seemed like Naoto and his classmate were having a little bit of an argument; over you. When you looked over to them, you noticed that Naoto had his hand half-up and his mouth open. When Naoto saw that you were staring at him, his throat closed up.