[16] A White Lie

Thank goodness classes had ended for the day. You weren't sure if you were going to be able to survive another hour learning about math. However, it seems like your friend behind you had his thoughts muddled up with other things. Even after everyone else had left the class (leaving just you two alone) he was cradling his head trying to calm himself down.

"Takemichi-san, are you feeling alright?" You packed up your bag and took a seat by the desk on his left. "...Oh, did you get into a fight? I didn't notice it before, but you've got bandaids on your face."

"Just some stuff... you know, Toman." He ruffled his hair, hoping that would help him think straight.

"Did something happen in a meeting or something? You seem more stressed out than usual."

"Takemichi!" Akkun, along with the other three boys had strolled into the classroom. "And [last name]-chan, how are you doing?"

"Just fine, Akkun-san."

"Akkun is just fine! Anyway, I heard the news. You're a part of Toman now, Takemichi?" How come you didn't hear about this? How many people were holding out secrets from you?

"Takemichi-san, you're finally... a Toman member? Good luck with that."

"What's wrong? Why do you look so down?" Akkun wasn't sure why his friend was suddenly timid and looking down at his hands. Usually, he was always rowdy or just, normal – not sad like this.

"Huh? Um... Oh, right!" There was something up with Takemichi's behaviour today. You were going to have to ask around about this. "I ended up a member of Toman somehow."

"Takemichi-san, how did Mikey-san even let you in? Sure you may have determination–"

"Come on, [last name]-san! Please don't make fun of me!"

"Man... We wanna join, too!" Yamagishi sighed from being left out. How did their cry baby friend get in first, before they did?

"Well... it's actually not as great as it sounds." The four boys ended up taking seats and sitting around Takemichi with you. Takemichi had then explained the whole situation and what actually went down at yesterday's Toman meeting. Takemichi had to omit the parts where he had asked Mikey about you afterwards, but you didn't need to know that.

His explanation actually explained a few things, and why Baji was actually so strange the day you were studying with him. "So, if you don't bring the former First Division Captain, Baji-kun, back from Valhalla, Mikey-kun's gonna kill you." Akkun repeated.

"Yeah, and I only have until their showdown with Valhalla starts."

"I understand a few things, but who's Valhalla? Just another gang? And why is all of this happening?" You had to get all the information from the boy in front of you. If Baji wasn't going to tell you, then Takemichi would.

"I have no idea what's going on internally with Toman, and I don't who who Valhalla is either, [last name]-san."

"Hey, Delinquent Encyclopedia." Akkun tuned over to Yamagishi who shot up from his seat. He hummed and adjusted his glasses on his nose.

"I'll explain it for you." He grabbed a chalk from the board at the back of the class and began to draw things up like he did the last time. "Tokyo Manji, or Toman for short. The commander is Mikey-kun, and the vice-commander is Draken-kun. Under then are five divisions with about 20 members in each, making them a huge biker gang with about 100 members. We all know that much, right?"

"Um, sure."

"Wow, I had no idea!"

"You call yourself a delinquent?! Now take notes, this is gonna be on the test. From what I heard, the former Third Division Captain, Pah-chin-kun, was arrested. His vice-captain, Peh-yan-kun, joined the Second Division. And the one who became the Third Division Captain in his place..."