[28] Last Goodbyes

You think Takemichi might have a little obsession with you or something. This was the second time this week he's called you out just to 'talk.'

"Takemichi-san, you better have a good reason for this. If you aren't profusely bleeding, I'm going back home." The boy in front of you clenched his fists and stared at the ground. He didn't want to look up at you. "Are you alright?" You asked, worried about his reaction. "Oh... did I go to far? I'm sorry. Um, or maybe you and Tachibana-san had a falling out again? I remember seeing her go into her house when I was going out."

"[last name]-san, it's okay. I'm not crying anymore." He straightened up his back and wiped his eyes, "Can I tell you something?"

"What is it?"

"I want to save you." Takemichi took in a deep breath; when he calmed down, he noticed that you had tensed up. "I want to save you so badly, but I don't know how! Every single time, you just slip out of my grasps and it hurts! You're such an important person, [last name]-san. If you're gone... it's all gonna go wrong! Just let me save you! I'm begging you!" The boy fell onto all fours, begging you to let him do this. This was the only way he could tell you what he wanted. He couldn't afford to wait for any longer and do things on his own like this.

You were going to die within a week according to the future, and there was absolutely no time for him to stay beside you and fight Tenjiku as well. This was his only plan.

"Takemichi-san, thanks... for showing that you care. But, I don't think you can save me."

"Huh?" You squat down to Takemichi's height and pat his shoulder, encouraging him to raise his head. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know how you found out, but I think I'm going to die soon. Kisaki-san paid a visit to me two days ago... he said that I should die in exchange for my parents, Emma-san and Tachibana-san's lives. If I'm being honest, me dying is probably the best outcome. If I can save the people I care about most, then I'd be happy to die."

"...You don't get to make that decision!"

"Huh?"

"Why can't you also save yourself too?! We can save everyone!" Takemichi placed his hands on your shoulders and shook you back and forth, "How do you think everyone will feel when they find out you're dead?! You matter too! Don't throw your life away!"

"Takemichi-san, I want to save everyone too! But this is the only way I can do it!"

"But I want you to live! We all want you to live. None of us would know how to live life without you! Mikey-kun disappears! Hina dies! Chifuyu lives in constant fear of trust! Baji-kun won't talk to anyone! Mitsuya-kun is afraid of talking to people, Smiley-kun doesn't smile anymore... you don't understand what impact you have on us, [last name]-san! Don't think so badly about yourself!"

"...You're strange, Takemichi-san. I have no idea what you mean by all of that, but thanks for giving me some hope in life. But unless you can figure out a better option or save me from getting killed, then I'm going to follow through with this plan of mine."

"[last name]-san, please don't sacrifice yourself for us. That's all I'm asking." He dropped his head down but kept his hands on your shoulders. "Please... don't die." He was going to make you cry right now. You've never heard it—words like this in front of you.

He really wanted to save you.

"Thanks, Takemichi-san." You wrapped your arms around his upper back and pat him. "I'll tell you something. On February 22, I'll be at Musashi Shrine. Kisaki-san will most likely show up with Hanma-san sometime that day. Kisaki-san might shoot me, or he'll tell me to shoot myself."