[18] Lingering Fear

The moment your eyes opened, the pain in your abdomen had begun to pulse. You could feel the pain throbbing, and all you could do was just stay down on the hospital bed. From the light coming out from your window, you could deduce that it was either the morning or afternoon. You didn't even want to attempt to get up, in fear that you might make the pain even worse. "Ah... I want to go home."

"...[name]?! Are you awake?" What was your father doing here? Shouldn't he be at work or something? Usually, he didn't really involve himself in your life, but... you guessed having your daughter stabbed was probably something he'd have to care about.

"Just now... I woke up. What time is it?"

Your dad fumbled a bit with his phone, "It's... November 3, 11:37 in the morning. You've been asleep for a while now. I'm glad you're okay. When I got the call that you were in hospital I had to drop everything and take a week off work right then and there."

"Is that so? How about mom?"

"She left about half an hour ago to get some spare clothes for you. She should be back soon. Hold on, let me call a doctor, I'll be back." Your dad left the room and you were left alone again. You were more awake this time so you were able to actually examine the room you were in.

It was a small private room, just big enough to fit the bed and a sink. On the bedside table, were two vases of flowers and a few cards. You went to reach out to one of them and brought it to your face.

Dearest [name],

I hope you get better soon so we can go back to school together. When you wake up, I'll treat you to some cake! Let's go to the new sweet shop that just opened up with Emma-chan!

Love from, Hina.

So she heard about what happened to you as well. You would have to take her up on that offer when you get discharged. You reached out to grab another letter.

You truly are my angel, [last name].

I'm sorry I got you involved in this.

Please forgive me.

Baji.

He shouldn't feel this way. You made a note to make sure to reassure him that you were okay. He must feel guilty. But... the fact remained—Baji was still alive.

"[last name]-san, I'm glad to see that you're awake." The doctor walked into the room with your dad behind him. "How are you feeling right now?"

"Just a bit of pain here and there... but I think I'm okay." The doctor then wrote a few things down and did what he needed to do. He then told you the estimated date you were going to be discharged was in a week; which wasn't too bad. With that, he left the room and said that you should continue to rest up.

"You're probably a bit confused, [name]. That is, with what they had to do to save you." He was right, you've been asleep for about three days. "They told me that you had to get emergency surgery to save you. The knife hit a bad part of your stomach so it was lucky that you're alive now."

"Yeah... I guess so."

"[name], there's one thing I want to know." Your dad took a seat on the bed, "What were you doing with that boy? The police told me that he was realised from juvie only a week or two before this happened. I thought we told you to stay away from gangs. You know what happened to Kazuya because of these stupid gangs. Not to mention, there were at least 8 boys just standing outside your hospital room when you got out of surgery. Did your brother's death mean nothing to you?!"