[26] Far From Life Itself

"Takemichi-kun, this is the worst future that's happened yet. Nee-san and [name]-san weren't saved." The 26-year-old gulped in suspense. Naoto had just arrived at his apartment after he had gotten home from Mitsuya's funeral. "And the admin members of the Tokyo Manji gang... have all been killed. Matsuno Chifuyu, shot to death. Shiba Hakkai, burned to death. Mitsuya Takashi, strangled. Ryugūji Ken, stabbed. Hanemiya Kazutora and Haruki Hayashida too. Baji Keisuke, who was not even a Toman member... his throat was slit. And all the other members. All of them were murdered."

Takemichi picked up the photo that had been laying on the table, this was the picture he asked to take after the Black Dragons conflict was solved. "Even Kisaki was killed."

"...Kisaki?!" His entire body began to shake after hearing that piece of information, "Everyone... is dead? No...! But why?"

"The suspect is still at large. We don't even have a clue as to where he might be." Takemichi then flinched when he thought of someone, where was he in all of this?

"What about Mikey-kun? Was... Was Mikey-kun murdered too?"

"Brace yourself for what you're about to hear, Takemichi-kun." Naoto reached into his pocket and revealed a picture of Mikey—who's appearance had changed drastically since 2006. "The criminal wanted for these serial murders is Sano Manjiro."

Takemichi froze and his breath was taken away. He couldn't believe this. "Huh? Could you dial down the jokes a freakin' notch? There's no way he'd... There's no way that Mikey-kun would kill everyone! Hey!"

"Takemichi-kun, I want to know the truth too. I want to meet with Sano Manjiro and take with him. But you're the only one who can do that. As a former Toman admin and the only one still alive... only you can do it."

"That Mikey-kun..." He tried to think to all of the interactions he's had with the boy in 2005 and 2006. He never even seemed like he'd be one to kill his friends. "Naoto, did Mikey-kun really do all that?"

"...Do you know anything about it, Takemichi-kun? The information gained from your latest time-leap will surely contain a clue somewhere. At the very least, something you did in the past caused a great change in the present."

"Something I did? Are you saying I messed up? I eliminated the two people that would've caused Toman to turn evil. The Black Dragons were defeated and Kisaki got thrown out of Toman! Everything should've ended up fine! ...What did I do wrong? Should I... not have told Mikey-kun that he could handle it on his own? What did I do after that? I just took this photo."

Naoto finally realised what Takemichi was looking at, "That photo... where did you find it?"

"Where...? On top of the kotatsu." Takemichi's eyes drifted towards the table but realised there was something else, "It's a letter! Was the photo inside here?"

Naoto had an idea, "Let me see that letter for a moment. The postmark isn't from Japan. It's from the Philippines! This letter... Who sent this letter?" Takemichi's heart skipped a beat. That country was familiar. He remembered from a conversation that the Philippines showed up.

"It's... Mikey-kun!" Takemichi and Naoto then spent the next few minutes going through the timeline of 2005–2006, trying to figure out what went wrong. In addition to that, Naoto went ahead and booked him a flight to Manila to meet Mikey. Hopefully he would be able to find him there.

"...and I'm guessing, the day you decided to leave that timeline, you missed out on saving [name]-san from getting killed in the following two months."

"What?! She... died in 2006? Not 2007? And it happened when I left. Huh?" Takemichi could feel his legs getting weak. All of this information was making him feel a bit nauseous. He wasn't able to do anything for you, or for Hina once again. "What happened to her?"