[39] Light in this Life

This room was an entire mess. The moment you stepped into it, you could feel the dust mites crawling onto you. You didn't know how Mikey did it—that is, sleeping here every single day. Yourself and the boy were currently cleaning out his room since... well, Draken didn't want to clean it with him.

You didn't know how long he was living like this. But you suspect it's been a while since he's actually cleaned up. "...Mikey-san, can you at least help? You asked me to come over, but you aren't doing your part."

"I don't want to, [name]cchan! I'm usually asleep at this time! I can't even get up from the couch." The blond boy had his face smooshed into the furniture as he hugged one of his pillows. "Can you do it for me?"

"Now I understand why Draken-san didn't want to take up this job. He knew you wouldn't lift a finger. He didn't even tell me about it either." You shook your head, hoping to get all the dust off of it. "...Did Emma-chan clean your room for you?"

"Yeah." He dug his face further into the chair. "I don't want to clean or else I'll be reminded of her."

"...Then don't mind it. I'll dust everything for you then. Just make sure to get me wet tissues when I need it." You noticed his head nod. Afterwards, you just got started—first, was the shelves. You had to dust every single shelf in the room, which was a pain for you since there were shelves everywhere. Next the table and any other flat surface. After dusting, it would be wiping with a clean towel.

Mikey opened his eye to watch you do this job. He didn't mean to let you do it by yourself; he had actually planned to have a cute cleaning date together. But it was unfortunately at the worst place. Every single day he walked into this home, his deceased siblings faces would haunt the back of his mind. On days like that, he'd be unable to sleep causing him to be crankier than the previous day.

He especially felt bad for you; because of his feelings, you have to take care of him now. Although, he might like having someone take care of him, he was aware of the situation. He didn't want to make you do things for him because he was just sad. "Mikey-san, you can go back to sleep if you'd like. Don't worry about me. I'll take care of you as long as you'd like. It's been a rough couple of months for you. Take it easy."

You know, he's always thought you had some kind of superpower like Takemichi's—the ability to read minds or emotions. You knew exactly what he was feelings even though you only took one glance at him. How did you do it?

"No, I'll stay up for you. I don't want you to do everything."

"It's okay. I can do it." Mikey knew what type of person you were. [last name] [name]'s a kind and considerate person; someone who you would trust with your entire life even if you've only known her for five minutes. But, despite that, she never seemed to make time to care for herself when given the time. It was always, 'you guys are my friends first' or 'I'll help you out when you least expect it.' It's not 'let me tell you how I feel' or even 'it's a bad idea.'

You went with the flow and never opposed any idea. That's what made you vulnerable.

"I'll take my bed sheets to the washing machine." You stopped him before he could even make it over to his bed, "What?"

"Do you know how the machine works?" He shook his head. "Just put it in front of the washer, don't press any buttons."

"I'm not that dumb." Mikey soon left his room after that. You, on the other hand, had just finished wiping all the surfaces in the room with a wet towel. Now everything was nice and sparkly. All that was needed was a good vacuum. With the stone floor, you weren't sure if mopping was needed.

"...Oh, Mikey-san! That was quick. Stay outside for a second!" He patiently waited on the engawa that faced his room. The garage door was left open so he could see what you were doing from where you were.