[38] An Outstretched Hand

"Okay!" Hina clapped her hands together to get the attention of the former gang members that sat in a line in front of her. "It's [name]-chan's birthday next week, and we obviously have to celebrate it with her."

"Why did you only tell us with a week to go?!" Baji pulled at his hair, "How am I supposed to find a present for her in a week?!"

"Baji-san, calm down. You'll figure out something." Chifuyu was having the same problem. He didn't expect your birthday to be so soon.

"What should I get her, Ken-chin?"

"I dunno."

"Smiley, what are you thinking?" Mitsuya looked over to the orange-haired boy.

"She likes taking pictures, right? Maybe I can get her a cheap camera."

"Okay, enough!" Hina clapped her hands for the second time, "I've already thought of something that we can all do on the day. Luckily for us, it's on a weekend, so that means we have the entire day to prepare for it. Me, Takemichi-kun and my brother, Naoto, will set up a surprise birthday party in the park just outside our apartment complex. By now, everyone should know where that is."

"But, Hina," Takemichi raised his hand, "if it's gonna be right outside the building, wouldn't [last name]-san notice it... if she goes outside?"

"That's where one of you guys come in!" Hina declared, "While we're preparing, one of you will be in [name]-chan's house keeping her distracted." She then pursed our her lips and examined each and every one of them, "Hm... I'd say, Mitsuya-kun would be the best choice!"

"Why?!"

"Because Baji-kun, Mitsuya-kun can bring his sisters along as well! That way, [name]-chan will have no choice but to keep them company."

"I wanted to keep [name]cchan distracted. Mitsuya, let's switch!"

"Mikey, you'd spoil the surprise the moment you'd see her."

"Ken-chin, that's not true!"

"So, over this week, please make sure you get her some sort of gift... or whatever you'd think she like, and bring it to the party. That's my plan! If any one of you comes late, you're never allowed near [name]-chan again, got it?!"

"Roger!"

"Hina can be so scary sometimes..."

"Takemichi-kun, did you say something?"

"Nothing!"

———

...How old were you again? Oh, that's right, this was your fifteenth birthday. As they say, halfway to thirty years-old. Knowing that created a bitter taste in your mouth. You were barely into your late-teens and you were already dreading life.

Your parents had left you a few gifts on the kitchen table—money and some stationary. Unfortunately, they had to leave for work due to some emergency. What a coincidence that it just had to happen on your birthday.

As you had just finished up your breakfast, the doorbell had rung. "I thought I said I was going to press the bell, Taka-nii!"

"Sorry, Mana. Next time." Mitsuya was a bit nervous. He had come a few minutes earlier than he was supposed to since his sisters were way to excited. Hina and the other boys hadn't even started to set up the party yet.

"Oh! It's my favourite girls in the entire world." After opening the door, you had squat down to their height. "What are you guys doing here?"

"[name]-nee-san!" Luna jumped onto you, "Have you already forgotten? It's your birthday!"