[19.5] Unannounced Visits

After the whole debacle about friendship at the hospital, you were finally able to go back to your normal life – that is, just home alone once again with the smell of instant cookies baking in the oven.

As you were trying to relax in the living room by watching television, your mind couldn't dismiss the small events that had occurred in between your last day of the hospital to now, your third-day at home. Let's start of with... Baji, of course.

———

"Oh, Baji-kun!" Your mother had pointed towards the boy who was standing just outside the doors of the hospital. "You're here again." The two of you were going to be on your way home via her car, but it seemed like your friend had wanted to pay one last visit before you could leave.

"Good afternoon, [last name]-san and [last name]-chan."

"Hey, [name]." Your mom whispered into your ear, "You should let him call you by your given name."

"Mom... don't even start with your matchmaking." You nudged her away with your elbow and approached your friend, "Baji-san, you don't need to be so formal. I told you that I'd be leaving the hospital today... is there something wrong?"

He exhaled loudly and revealed what he had been hiding behind his back, "These are for you... as congratulations for getting better." What he had gotten you was a bouquet of red roses; they looked exactly like the ones he had gotten when you first got admitted. "I'm sorry I couldn't visit you more."

"T-Thank you, Baji-san." You accepted the flowers and held them up to your chest, "You really didn't even need to come... but I really appreciate it. If you had come earlier, we would've been able to have a nice lunch together." At the sound of that, Baji was going to smack Chifuyu. The only reason he came at this time was because he asked his friend for advice on what type of bouquet he should get you. He ended up going through millions of different options.

"...I didn't only come here for that. I never got to say it in person, but thank you so much." He took a step backwards and bowed a 90 degree angle towards you. "If you hadn't been there at that particular moment in time, I probably would've died... I'm utterly grateful for you, [last name]-chan. Not only that," He raised his head, "You were also able to help stop Kazutora from getting killed by Mikey. Thank you for saving both of them."

"It's okay... You don't need to be so thankful, I would've done it for anyone." And with that, Baji opened his arms wide and engulfed you into a hug. "Ba-Baji-san?"

"Please make sure you look after yourself if you get into another fight." The boy released you from his grip, but placed his hands onto your shoulder. "I also want to give you something else. Close your eyes."

"I don't like the sound of that." But that pout on his face convinced you to do what he asked. Once you did close your eyes, you waited for a second... then came five seconds, then ten. "Baji-san? Are you still there?" As you were about to open your eyes to check up on him, he made his move closer to your face. He placed a tender kiss onto your cheek and kept it there for a second or two longer than he should have.

When he pulled back, he smacked his lips together and muttered, "That's... my other gift." Baji didn't want to look at your face since he had already embarrassed himself enough, but he couldn't help but take a peek. Your face could not have been redder than those flowers. "[last name]-san!" He called over to your mom, "I'll make sure to take care of your daughter whenever you're gone. Count on me!" And with that, he ruffled your hair and ran out of the hospital's premises with a stupid grin on his face. If you had been listening to your surroundings, you would've heard him shout out of joy down the street.