[37] Inseparable

Your lips were curled into a smile as you lifted your index finger up and down. The cat in front of you couldn't help but follow its animal instincts and chase your moving finger wherever it went. In your other hand, was a small fishing rod with a toy fish attached to it—another cat was trying to reach it.

"Chifuyu-san, look how cute they are!" He should really be saying that about you. He didn't expect you to be so happy to be at a cat café. The blond boy was sitting a metre away from you holding another cat in his arms as he watched you play. He would've loved to take more photos, but unfortunately his phone said that it was out of storage. It really made him disappointed.

"Yeah, the white one is especially pretty."

"I can't help but feel like we might be betraying Peke J a little bit. She's a black cat, isn't she?"

He pursed out his lips, "I told her where I was going before I left. I'm sure she won't mind."

"Can cats smell other cats on their owners like dogs can?" He shrugged his shoulders at your question, "If so, Peke J might get sad when you get home." You then noticed that most of the cats in the room had gathered around Chifuyu's area. They began to rub themselves on his clothes and hopped onto his shoulders. "You're very popular."

"...Yeah." He wanted to scratch his neck from the itch that had appeared, but he was afraid that he'd accidentally hit one of the pets around him.

"How are you so good with animals? It's almost too unfair."

He finally reached the itch and let out a relieved sigh, "I go over to Baji-san's house all the time. He's the one who attracts all the cats in the neighbourhood. Seen his windowsill? It's always filled with cats... I guess, it kinda rubbed on me. Besides, I'm with a cat everyday of my life. It'd be pretty lame of me if I couldn't handle cats if I live with one."

"Oh, that's very true." The cat that was following your finger seemed to be distracted by a new play thing. When you noticed it, you dropped your hand to your lap. Almost immediately, it had climbed up onto your thighs and hopped onto your arm, wanting to play with your ear. "Huh? What's wrong? Ow! It scratched my cheek."

"I think it's the earring, [last name]-chan." Chifuyu helped you get the cat off yourself so you could fix the issue. "The workers did say these cats liked shiny things."

"Thanks, Chifuyu-san. Give me a moment so I can take it off temporarily." You put down the toy fishing rod and began to fiddle with the clip that held the earring. "...I can't seem to get it."

"Here, let me help." He put down the cat and kneeled over to your right side. Chifuyu got up really close to you so he could see what exactly he was doing. "There you go." He held the earring in his palm, which you placed into your pocket. "I should take mine off too." After he did so, his eyes made their way back onto your figure.

You weren't playing with the cats that were laying around, but instead, watching a cat couple cuddling with each other. "[last name]-chan, you okay?" You grabbed onto his shirt and pointed at the cats. "What about them?"

"Do you think I should get a cat? Maybe we could set up some play dates with my potential cat and Peke J... and maybe they can be a cute cat couple too." Chifuyu could imagine it already.

You would show up to his house with a white cat in it's nice cage, and then it would jump out at the sight of Peke J. Once the cats were playing with each other, you and Chifuyu would be cat parents. That future was too cute. He could feel his face getting warmer the longer he thought about it.

"You should... get a cat if you can. It'd be adorable." Now was he describing you or the play dates that? You won't ever know.

The two of you then sat down at the actual café part of the store and ordered some drinks. "What have you been up to these days, Chifuyu-san? You know, since Toman has disbanded and stuff... what do you do in your spare time?"