[27] The Real Truth

For some utter reason, Takemichi thought it would be a good idea to call you out early in morning just to 'catch up.' Seriously, what was wrong with him? He was just lucky you decided to pull an all-nighter to finish off your homework.

And so, here you were – the one waiting for him on the park swings outside your apartment building. He was the one who called you, yet you were the one waiting. Damn that boy. "Takemichi-san, if you don't come in the next five minutes I'm going to kill you. It's still so cold out..."

"[last name]-san!" Speak of the devil himself, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep you waiting. I ran all the way here from my house." He dropped down onto his knees panting from how fast he travelled. "Sorry for asking you out here so early."

"Well, knowing you"—you stopped pushing yourself on the swing—"it must be important. Take a seat on the swing next to me. Or continue to kneel like a dog in front of me. Your choice."

"...I'll take the swing." He stood up from the ground and plopped his ass onto the seat. "I just... wanted to see you again." You had to stop yourself from gagging from his disgusting statement. "I don't meant it like that! It's because... I thought I wouldn't be able to see you again."

"Takemichi-san, are you feeling okay? Did you take something you shouldn't have? Let it be a reminder that you're still fourteen-years-old. You shouldn't be doing anything that–"

"No! I'm not doing what you're implying. In a way, I guess I had a bad dream that you... died. I wanted to make sure you were okay with my own eyes." Should you have found his words sweet? It kinda was.

"Luckily for you, I'm still alive. Is that all you wanted to call me out for?"

"...Not really." Takemichi had to swallow up his fear. He had been avoiding this topic since he wasn't sure whether or not it would be appropriate to talk about. You and him were good friends, but not to the extent of him being so casual with his words. "Your brother!"

"What about him?"

"Can... Can you tell me about him? Recently, Mikey-kun has been sharing stories about his own brother to me. I was curious about yours... since you bring him up every once in a while." Would you believe that half-lie of his? He did engage in a deep conversation with Mikey the day after Christmas, and it gave him the idea of asking you this. The hard part was getting you to agree–

"If you wanted to know, you should've asked me when we had warmer weather." He took in a large gulp of his saliva, "But since you asked nicely, I can tell you about him."

"Thanks, [last name]-san." And so, you began to tell him how good of a brother Kazuya was—how he was brave and what he did in his life. Takemichi took all of this in, cramming it into the crevices of his mind. He didn't want to forget even one word; this was all going to help him in the near future. After all, in this new timeline, you were going to die within two months from now.

"...Did that satisfy your curiosity?"

"Yeah, it did. It also explains why... you were so reluctant at first to Toman and stuff. I did hear some facts from Mikey-kun before, but hearing them from you is much better." You tilted your head at what he said, unsure of what he meant. "Can I ask you one last thing?"

"What is it?"

"Do you remember why exactly your brother got into the conflict with his gang? Like, what was the cause of the problem?"

"...I guess I can tell you that." His eyes lit up, "I was digging through some of his old stuff a few weeks ago and I found out what gang he belonged to. It was called 'Hisuibi'—the Jade Snakes. They had a group out here in Tokyo so he joined that after we moved from Yokohama. I remember reading something about how they had gotten into a fight with... that's right... the Black Dragons."