[36] Bottled Up Emotions

"Hm... The cake mix I bought is probably large enough to feed your family. Did you buy the ingredients for it, Nahoya-san?"

"Yeah." The said boy was currently rummaging through his fridge to find a third egg. For some reason, his mom didn't like to put them all in one spot. "Got it. Milk, eggs, butter... is that all?"

"Looks like it. The box comes with frosting too, so we don't need to worry too much about that. So, tell me why I'm here to help you bake this again?" You opened up the cake mix and poured it into one bowl.

"It's for Angry. I thought it would be nice to do something for him, just as a thank you." Nahoya scratched his hair, not wanting to embarrass himself further. "You were the only person I could ask to help me do this. I would've asked my mom, but she's currently keeping him occupied with shopping. That was the only way I could get him out of the house."

"So, it's not his birthday or anything?"

"No, you idiot." He gently hit your head, "If it was his birthday, it would be mine too." You pouted at his words.

"Well, it's a nice thought, Nahoya-san. I'm sure Souya-san will like it. Um... I don't know how good you are in the kitchen. You want me to measure out the ingredients? You can do the mixing." Nahoya nodded and gave you everything you needed. "...So, 60g of melted butter, 3 eggs, half a cup of milk... then mix! Oh, Nahoya-san, preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Just turn the... turner thing to the number."

"Amazing instructions."

"Be grateful I'm helping you!" After putting together all the wet ingredients into a separate bowl, you stepped aside and pointed towards it. "Now put the cake mix into this bowl"—you pointed towards a whisk—"then mix."

"...Okay." Nahoya was a bit confused, does he just pour it in? Does he have to touch it before mixing it? He's never done anything in the kitchen before. He stared at the two bowls, waiting for an answer to come up in his head. He picked up the wet ingredients and poured it into the dry, "Is that right?"

"Yeah, here's your whisk." He at least did something right. You watched as he stirred the mixtures together—quite awkwardly you should mention. He wasn't mixing it in circles, rather in a horizontal line, side to side. "...Nahoya-san, if you mix like that, you won't get everything. And you have to get the stuff on the side of the bowl too."

He turned his head to the side; he didn't want to be this useless. "Let me help you then." You came up from behind him and placed one hand over his (the one holding the whisk) and the other on the bowl.

"Oi! What are you doing?!" He tried to look down at you, but you pushed your forehead into the back of his shoulder to keep him focused. "H-Hey..."

"If we don't hurry, they're gonna come home before we even have the chance to put the batter in the pan." You guided his hand and helped him mix up everything properly, "See, isn't it easy?"

"...Be quiet."

"Who knew the great Smiley couldn't do something as simple as this?" You felt him nudge your stomach. "Ow!"

"Don't make fun of me!"

"Sorry! Sorry!" You laughed at his reddened face, "Now help me fill up the tray!"

"Geez... Don't do these things to me..." Nahoya watched as you got the tray ready. He then poured the batter into the tray and you put it into the oven. "How long do we wait for?"

"About forty minutes. And your mom?"

"Maybe an hour or two? Come on, let's wait in the living room or something." He grabbed two cups of water before leading you into the main area, "Thanks again... I guess. I would've bought Angry something too, but he likes eating."