[38] An Outstretched Hand

Start from the beginning

"Happy birthday~" Mana attempted to sing the traditional song, but ultimately gave up because she forgot it.

"Thanks, Luna-chan, Mana-chan." You then allowed them to run into your household while you talked to their older brother. "So, where did you hear about my birthday from?"

"A little birdy came into our house and whispered it into my ear." He chuckled, "Hina-chan told me, since... well, it's Hina-chan. I couldn't not tell my sisters about it and so, here we are. Happy birthday!"

"...Thank you, Mitsuya-san." He pat your head and revealed from behind him a wrapped up gift. "Oh, you didn't have to."

"I wanted to. You've done so much for me and my sisters; this is really the least I can do." You led him inside your home and opened his gift on the kitchen table. With some precision of the scissors, you were able to open it without ripping the wrapping paper. "...It's an embroidered bag." The beige tote bag was no longer plain, but instead had colourful flowers embroidered onto it.

"Yeah. It took me a few all-nighters, but I managed to finish it on time. I tried to implement elements of that garden we went to. Hopefully you like it."

"Of course I do, Mitsuya-san. It's beautiful." You folded up the bag and placed it back onto the table, "I'll make sure to use it whenever I go out."

"Our turn, our turn!" Mana tugged at your sweatpants, "Look what I got you." She handed you a piece of paper. "Sorry I can't get you anything better. I don't have money." On the paper, was just a simple drawing of you, herself and Luna holding hands with a shrine in the background.

"Don't apologise for that, Mana-chan." You kneeled down to her, "This is so creative of you. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to draw this for me. I'll make sure to frame it."

"Yay!"

"I...!" Luna interrupted the short-lived celebration, "I drew something too. I wanted to get you a pretty hair tie, but I didn't have money either."

"You don't need to be sorry either, Luna-chan." You received her drawing. It was a tad different to her sisters. Instead of it being the three of you, it was yourself, Luna and Takashi. She was in the middle of the two of you. "This is cute."

"Happy... birthday!"

"Thank you. You Mitsuya siblings are the best." The only boy in the room scratched his cheek as he was left out of the group hug.

。。。

"Erm– Hina, we still have a lot of time left in the day. No need to keep worrying." Takemichi tried to slow down his stressed out girlfriend. She was walking back and forth in the park, trying to use her 'designer eye' to figure out a nice layout to the party.

"Nee-san, mom and I are gonna make the cake now." Naoto nudged his sister out of her distraction, "We'll have it ready in an hour."

"Good job, Naoto!" She waved him a see you later as he ran back up to their home. "Takemichi-kun, I have an idea. It might be a bit simple, but since it's just gonna be a small outdoor party, it'll be fine. We just have to find one of those retractable tables that we can put in the middle... and then we can just decorate the table with streamers and stuff. Since this is a public park, I don't want to ruin it."

"Um, Hina, when should we be finished with this preparation?"

She stopped walking for a second, "In about two hours! I don't want [name]-chan to think that we've all forgotten about her. And I'm worried that Mitsuya-kun might not be able to distract her for the entire day. I just hope he's alright."

"I think he's fine. He sent us all a picture of [last name]-san with his sisters a few minutes ago. You said you needed a retractable table?" Takemichi thought about the object, "I think I might have one at home. I can go and check?"