[32.5] Late Messages

Start from the beginning

Oh! I bet you're making dresses for Luna and Mana. Man... I would love to see them all grown up. Are they independent? Are they happy? Well, they have their big brother so I'm sure they're loving life.

How about Hakkai and Yuzuha? Are they still with you? Not sure where they will be up to in twelve years. Tell them I said hi and that I'm wishing them good luck for what they're doing.

I also want to give my thanks to you, Mitsuya. Thank you for accepting me, thank you for putting me first, even though it should've been the other way round! I can never thank you enough for being one of the most selfless friends I had.

And I hope you can find it within your heart to forgive me. I'm sorry for not saying goodbye to you and your sisters. I can only hope that you're doing well without me. I mean, after all these years, tell Mana and Luna that I'm sorry for not giving them a proper farewell. I wonder how they reacted...

Maybe we'll be able to meet each other someday in the future again. Thank you, Mitsuya.

Sincerely,

[last name] [name].

———

Dear Kawata Nahoya,

Hello, Nahoya in the future. Are you doing well? How's Souya? Are you two still together? Who am I kidding– You guys are twins. What are you doing now in twelve years time?

I overheard that you wanted to be a host or something the other day when you were older... Well, did that come true? I'd say there's a 50/50 percent chance that'll actually happen. You've definitely got the looks for it, but I'm not sure about the personality.

Unluckily for you, people in real life think that guys who have a temper aren't that attractive. Not to say that you aren't, Nahoya! You are good-looking!

Perhaps that wasn't the best dream for you to strive after. Did you end up doing something with Souya? Like a restaurant or another small business together? Whatever you're doing though, I'm sure you get a lot of customers.

How are you though, really? Are you faring well without me? I know you always kinda went tsundere when you were around me, which basically means that you consider me a close friend. I'll miss our random hang outs at the mall and at the park.

For some odd reason, we would occasionally just bump into each other! Guess fate really wants us to hang out, huh?

Well, thanks for always accepting to be my 'going out' partner, even though I dragged you into it most of the time. Thanks for standing up and watching out for me in the background. I noticed all your hard work trying to make me happy even though you pretended to not be in the mood.

To the Nahoya in twelve years, live your life to the fullest!

Sincerely,

[last name] [name].

———

Dear Tachibana Naoto,

You might be a bit surprised to see that this letter got sent to you from me. I mean, it's been twelve years right? You told me that you wanted to become a police officer, has that happened? Or did you change career paths?

Either way, I'm sure you're doing fine. You're one of the most level-headed people I know. That's something that I admired about you, you know? Being able to be calm in all situations is something that I really needed in my life.

I never did get to say goodbye to you. I'm sorry for that.

I thought it would've been awkward and a little too weird to say goodbye out of nowhere. I can see the look on your face now – 'You should've said goodbye. It wouldn't of been weird.'

You're still young, Naoto. Make the right decisions in life. Figure out what you want to do before committing to them. But knowing you, you're gonna grow up all smart! Give all the credits to me though, I cooked you meals from time to time! Must've been my cooking that charged up your brain!

Sorry for joking around. I'm pretty sure you don't want that right now. Death has been something I've longed for a while, Naoto. I know you said to count on you, but like I said—you're young. I didn't want to give you the burden of knowing my feelings.

Just know, that I know you tried your best in giving me a good life! Hope you're taking care of Hina like I asked you to! Live a happy life.

Sincerely,

[last name] [name].

———

Dear Ryūjugi Ken,

Hey, Draken. I can imagine the look on your face now. You have these dreamy eyes, reminiscing about the past; your eyebrows are furrowed reading my description about you. Well, don't scrunch your face too much, you'll get wrinkles.

What are you up to these days? Are you still waking up Mikey in the mornings? Are you following him around like old times? I hope that's the case.

Are you happy?

If you can remember to twelve years ago, you were always either making fun of me or Mikey, telling me off on whatever I was doing or helping me with my worries. You were that friend I could always rely on.

Thanks for trusting me, I trusted you a lot—which is why I hope you're taking care of yourself.

Sorry for leaving you so soon after she passed away too. I know it probably wasn't ideal for you or for Toman. But, things happen, I guess. I'll make sure to let her know how much you love her! I'll describe it all in detail that it'll make you embarrassed even now.

Draken, I'm sorry for leaving. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Eat lots of apples!

Sincerely,

[last name] [name].

———

Dear Tachibana Hinata,

I've spent a lot of time thinking about you, Hina. Even after that, I still don't know how to start off this letter. First and foremost, I think I owe you an apology.

Hina, I'm sorry for leaving the world. I'm sorry for leaving you. I'm sorry that I won't be able to be by your side.

Are you happy in this future you're in? I'm sure you have Takemichi by your side to keep you company though, so you aren't that alone. Man, I kinda wish that I would be able to attend your wedding with him (if you do). I have a feeling it would been really fun.

I didn't die because of you, Hina. I died because I wanted to get rid of my suffering. I thought that I would finally be able to achieve some sort of satisfaction if I left this world. I know you probably don't understand where I'm coming from, but please forgive me.

You were one of the best friends in my entire life. I'm so glad that I met you, Hina. And another apology – I'm sorry that I never called you by your first name. I wanted to, but I was reluctant.

I never wanted to have too many friends. I've lived my life with hesitancy in the friendship department, but you... you were able to reach my heart. I'm glad you did. I never regretted having you by my side. I'll say hi to Emma for you.

Thank you, Hina.

Sincerely,

[last name] [name].

word count—1847