chapter 1

Enid
I patiently stood at the gates waiting. Today was the day that everyone was coming back to Hilltop, the day Carl is coming home. I brush my sweaty palms on the sides of my jeans and continue to fidget and lightly sway my body back and fourth in anticipation, just staring at the gate.

"It's okay, he'll be there." Maggie planted a hand on my shoulder with a soft smile. I nod back to her and turn my attention to the gate once again.

"They're here! Open the gates!" I took a deep breath as i mentally prepare myself for what's to come. After what felt like a million years, the gate is finally opened all the way and everyone starts to walk into Hilltop.

The sounds of families reuniting filled the air around me, but I didn't budge. My eyes scanned the crowd, watching, waiting for him to appear. I finally see Rick and Michonne walk past the gates and my gaze follows to the figure slowly approaching behind them.

The second our eyes meet he stops just pst the threshold of the gate and stares at me smiling with his arms up and welcoming. I cant help myself and just start running to him, past everyone, as fast as I can. I'm welcomed into warm arms as I take in his warmth and tuck my face into the crook of his neck. I jumped into his arms and he holds me up while I hug him as tightly as I could. I couldn't help but start crying as he held my up in his arms.

"Shhhh, it's okay, i'm here." He whispers in my ear, holding onto me tightly in his arms and using his left hand to rub the back of my head.

"I missed you so much! I got so scared when I didn't see you, I-I thought- I thought you-" I continue sobbing into him. He just continued to whisper that everything was okay and that he is right here, holding me tightly.

I feel so much better with him here. I missed how safe I feel when he holds me in his strong arms, and his scent that floods my nose when he holds me close. I missed the way his bandage rubs my cheek and the rim of his hat lays on the top of my head when he lays his head of my shoulder to hug me. I missed the way his icy blue eyes look at me, and how his voice can sooth all my worries. I missed him.

Carl
I'm finally home. I hate leaving her for so long and for making her worry so much. My heart practically stopped when I saw how lost and broken she looked as she frantically searched for me through the crowd.

Having her in my arms again was the best feeling in the world. If I could, I would just hold her like this forever. I just stood there, holding her up in my arms, whispering to her that everything is okay.

I was finally able to calm her down and get her to stop crying after a few minutes. She just sniffled into the collar of my flannel and long hair while i continued to mindlessly run her head. I finally look up at the people around us and see Maggie, my dad, Michonne, and Jesus looking at us with smiles on their faces, and I just smile back before kissing the top of her head and turning my attention back to her.

"Enid, are you okay now hon?" Maggie asks softly, walking over to us and rubs Enid's arm up and down in an attempt to comfort her. Enid look up to my side to Maggie. She rubs her eyes with her sleeve and sniffles before smiling and nodding to her. I carefully set her back down to her feet, grabbing her hand and following Jesus and the others to Barrington House.

"Jesus, Enid, and I finally moved in here after the war. Everyone in the colony insisted since i'm the new leader and all." Maggie explains as we enter the living room in Barrington House, closing the front door behind her.

"Yep, and as her second-in-command, I get the same privileges with half the work!" Jesus laughs, plopping down on a couch. We all chuckle at the long haired man.

"But I wouldn't be here without ya! And Enid is my daughter, so of course she's here with me too! We were even redecorated the baby's room the other day. He's just getting so big!" Maggie smiles, coming up behind Enid and putting her hands on top of her shoulders, leaning her head to rest on top of Enid's.