chapter 38; 4x13

high enough- k

high enough- k. flay
"the world is a curse, it'll kill if you let it."

"You're still here? What are you doing?" Caroline asked Tyler, but his furious expression didn't turn to face Caroline. He faced Klaus and didn't take his eyes off of him. 

"Gloating." He replied as he poured himself a drink. Klaus stepped closer towards the barrier and looked at Caroline and he greeted her, but she sent him a death glare and ignored him. Honestly, Klaus didn't care if he was ignored. He just needed to kiss up to them so they can let him out. Once he was out, he would go find Luna. 

Since Kol died, Klaus hadn't heard from her or seen from her. He hadn't asked, maybe it was because he still hadn't fully grasped the thought that his brother was dead and his burnt corpse was only a few feet away from him, "Come home. Don't stoop to his level." He heard Caroline say. 

"He destroyed my life. I plan on being present for every second of his misery until I can kill him myself." Tyler seethed as he glared at Klaus. The hybrid stayed silent at his sire's threat, knowing he wouldn't be successful. 

"Fine. You can gloat and multitask. This place is a disaster. Starting with a horrific burnt corpse." Caroline said as she grabbed a large white cloth to cover Kol's body. A tortured expression appeared on Klaus' face as he watched them cover up his brother's body. 

"Tyler's mother is dead. So is my brother. We're even," He started and then he turned to Caroline, "Call Bonnie. Get her to let me out of here." He bargained, but deep down he knew it wasn't going to work, they weren't going to be threatened by him if he was stuck behind a magic barrier; they also weren't going to feel sorry for him. They hated Kol and they hate him. 

"I will never, ever, help you." Caroline spat. Klaus took a deep breath, trying to contain his anger. His already slim chances of getting out would disappear if he had an outburst. 

"Okay, you don't want me to get out. At least let me call Luna." Klaus pleaded, his cold expression had morphed into a one of sadness. He saw Caroline's face do the same. She looked back at Tyler who shook his head, telling her not to hand him a phone, but she ignored him. She walked over to the barrier and went to hand him her phone. 

Before he took it, she spoke, "They think she turned her humanity off."  Klaus didn't respond, he figured that's what she would do. He took her phone and immediately dialled her number. He anxiously paced as he waited for her to pick up. 

Finally, she did, "Yes?"  For a moment, Klaus froze at the sound of her voice and he didn't know what to say. It was chilling, he could hear she was emotionless from the short word she just said. His heart broke a little when he heard her speak again and how she said his name with such distaste, "Are you gonna say something, or are you just gonna breathe into the phone, Nik?"

He exhaled slowly, "Where are you?" He asked. He knew getting a response was unlikely, but it was worth a shot. And besides asking about her whereabouts, he didn't know what else to say; he didn't know what else to ask.