Chapter 40

August

"Thanks again so much man."

"Thats what I'm here for. As soon as you're ready to pursue this, just let me know."

"I will and it will be soon too."

Leaving my lawyer's office, I felt good about our discussion. Playing back what I recorded, he informed and reassured me that it would stand up in a case.

Realizing the time, I decided to pick up some chinese food before heading back to the hospital. At this point, my main focuses were on Misty getting better and getting my son with me permanently.

"Ladies." I entered the room.

"Boy where have you been?" My mother asked.

"I brought food and we gotta talk."

"Oh boy!" Maw said.

Passing around containers, we got settled and conversed while we ate.

"So what's up?"

"She trapped me?"

"Who?" My momma asked.

"Who else? Morgan's ass."

"How you know?" Maw asked.

"This."

Pressing play on the video, I let them listen while we ate. Both maw and my momma were just shaking there heads.

"See. I warned you about that girl. Hell everybody did but yeen wanna listen. Now look." My mother said.

"So what are you going to do?"

"Well I went to my lawyer and he told me that with this I can fight for sole custody."

"Does she know that you know?"

"Nope."

"So what's the plan here."

"Well my plan is to have a sit down with Morgan and get her to sign over here rights. She thinks my child is a meal ticket and I ain't having it."

"And if she doesn't?"

"We go to caught. I file for full custody and she get visitation. I'm the one working anyway. I can better provide that she can."

"You know she isn't going to go down fighting right?"

"I know and I'm prepared to fight one way or the other."

Not saying anything after that, we just ate in silence.

*****

"So the surgery was a success."

Hearing those words, I was beyond happy. All I wanted to do now was see my girl.

"She still asleep but she should be up soon."

"Aight. Thanks doc." I nodded.

Before they brought Misty back in, they had asked us to clear the room. Cleaning and sanitizing it, I smiled when I saw her being wheeled in.

"Are you going to tell her about Morgan?"

"Yes." I nodded.

"Good." My mother nodded.

Looking around the room, I realized how plain it was.

"Momma, I saw one of them lah party stores thing up the block, I'm going thea ta get some stuff. Can't have my girl waking up ta this drag of a room."

"Okay boy." She laughed.

"Y'all need anything?"

"I'm good." She smiled.