Chapter 23

August

This entire dinner had to be the most awkward moment between the both of us. Neither of us had said a word since our orders were taken and now we were just sitting here eating in silence.

"And how are we doing here this evening?"

Giving our waiter our attention, we both nodded. Just as Jon was leaving, I excused myself.

"Hey man."

"Yes sir?"

"You got a note pad and pen I can borrow?"

"Aside from my waiter's? No sir."

"I need one, can you get one for me. I'll even pay you." I dipped into my pocket.

"No need to sir. I'll gladly get one for you. Wait right here."

Agreeing, I watched as hell went to the back before coming back with the note pad and pen.

"Thanks. I'm tryna break the ice with her."

"I figured. Good luck."

"Thanks."

Heading back to our table, Misty wasn't there. Looking around, I sat and sighed, hoping she didn't duck out on me.

Opening the note pad, I began to write when I had seen her coming back over to the table.

"I thought you dipped on me."

"Believe me, I thought of it." She sipped her wine.

Not saying anything as she went back to eating, I simply slid the paper towards her then placed the note pad and pen on the table in the middle of us.

"What is this?"

Waiting for a response, I just ate. Glancing at her, she finally picked it up and read it.

As I continued to eat, I saw her hand stretched for the pen and she wrote on it before sliding it back.

"No you don't."

She responded to my I love you.

Looking up, I just sighed before responding.

"Why do you keep saying that. You know I do."

"Be honest with yourself August. You love the thought of me."

When I saw that response, I'll admit, I did get annoyed. Misty knew how I felt but I messed up.

"What do I have to do to prove it to you? Tell me and I'll do it. I just want you back. I need you back Misty."

When she read that message, she looked up at me and just shook her head. She had no expression on her face.

"You've already proven to me what you are capable of and I love myself too much to be subjected to that."

Instantly looking at her, she sat there staring at me.

"Are you serious?"

"What do you think?"

"I think you're trying to blow smoke up my ass. What kind of a response is that?"

"An honest one. You showed me a completely different side of you. One that I've stayed away from for years, living in my old neighborhood. What you got me involved in made me wonder if how you were when we were together back that was all a lie."

"You know it wasn't a lie Misty so don't even say that shit."

"How do I know that? You used me to cheat on your girlfriend for two months. On top of that, you assumed myself and my friend was lying. when I told you she stole from me and you threatened to call the police on me. That was all you. So if that is what you call love, then I don't want it August."