Chapter 12

Misty

"You got everything you need?"

"Mhmm." I nodded before looking at him and smiling.

"I still can't believe you are doing this after everything you told me last night."

"I'm to mature for the pettiness Jay and quiet frankly, too tired. Its time for me to live my best life now."

"I understand once you're happy, I'm cool." He kissed me on my cheek.

"Tell me again why you're not seeing anyone?" I laughed a bit.

"Because my daughter ain't shit when it comes to these females out here." He laughed.

"I still can't believe Destiny is out here sabotaging your relationships like that."

Approaching the counter, I began placing things on the belt. Last night at dinner, he told me all about how within these past four years, the couple girls he tried to get serious with didn't last long because of Destiny.

"You better believe it. That little girl is too wild."

"Yeah but part of you encourage it." I pointed at him.

"And I'm not going to lie. I do. It helps me see who is really there for me. I want any female that comes into our lives be a good ass role model for her, even though she already got me, you and my moms."

"And she deserves that."

"Exactly. Danielle waited too long to realize and only now because she is clean, she sees it."

"Yup. I just wish she didn't hate me so much."

"That's my fault and I'm sorry."

"No it isn't. She never like me before you told her what you told her."

"You know what's crazy though?"

"What?"

"She wasn't even raised like that. Her background and everything is so decent and humble but she just wasn't happy."

"Oh wow."

Collecting my bill and change, we left and went back to my house. As how we went out last night, my grandma watched Destiny for him and they ended up just staying the night.

"As soon as we get back I'll start the grill."

"Okay great. I'll get the salad out of the way and then start on the pasta."

"You and all this healthy food."

"Its good for you. Plus you know I make it look good."

"You do. Only you can get that little lady of mines to eat properly."

"You try to force her. I don't. What I do is start a conversation with her to distract her and while we talk she eats. Its all about the method."

"She's going on eight, she don't want to talk to me."

"You'll be surprised. Destiny is a daddy's girl."

"Fine I'll try but I'm telling you."

"And I'm telling you. Why you think she chases off those girls. She don't want anyone coming to take her place."

"So why she never acted like that towards you?" He glanced over at me.

"Because I've been there from inception. She grew up knowing me, I'm not a stranger. But she did the same with Aug when it came to me."

"Really?"

"Tell me you're joking?" I looked at him.

"You didn't see it?"

"No. When?"

"All the time." I laughed. "She would glare at him in the meanest way or ignore him coldly."

"That's what she use to do with them females."

"I got the same reaction from his niece Kayden. They're bout the same age. I would love to see how they respond to each other later."

"Okay. By the way. Are you going to brief me on these people. Aside from Sarah, Maggie and August, I don't know them and you know how I feel about August."

"I know but for me, just put that aside please."

"I had already planned too."

"Thank you. Now, Kevin, he is Aug's DJ  and Maggie's boyfriend."

"Okay so he the fool who knocked her psycho as up willingly." He laughed.

"Hey don't make fun of my girl okay. She means well."

"Right." He shook his head. "Brian is Sarah's boyfriend." I said showing him the picture. "He plays basketball and is from Boston."

"Aight. I know him. She did good." He nodded in approval.

"This is Travis, Aug's brother. Ms. Sheila, their mother and Chandra and their nieces. Cha is the girls mother."

"Okay. They're for the one who passed."

"Yeah. They also have a brother name Jamal as well but he isn't here. His son isn't well so he and their sister stayed behind."

"Okay. Nieces names?"

"Chaylin, the oldest. My sweet heart Amaiya. She reminds me so much of me and Kayden, the one who socked me with a doll."

"Damn she looks like she got a mean streak in her."

"She's a darling regardless."

"Mhmm. And?"

"And we have Morgan."

"That's her?" He took the phone from me.

"Yeah."

Looking up at the traffic, then at me, he looked back at the picture.

"What?"

"She got him hooked."

"What you mean?"

"I mean. Its going to take a lot for him to leave her no matter how much he loves you."

"Huh?"

"That's his Danielle."

"Okay now for sure I don't understand."

"In every dude's life there will be his true love, the one who knew what to do and say to keep him around and the one that got away. Nine out of ten times, the one who got away is the true love. This girl right here, is a trap and nigga better be careful."

"You think so?"

"I know so. What's funny enough is me and him both got the same girl who got away." He glanced at me.

"Are you saying I was your true love?" I looked at him.

"I can't say but I know you are the one that got away."

Finally out of traffic, we pulled up into my garage next to my car. Shutting off the engine, we both just sat there.

"I didn't mean to make you feel any way about what I said. I was just being honest with you."

"I know you were."

"Like you said, we're grown. It's no sense in hiding or lying. I knew I fucked up then and I lost out but I'm glad I still got you in my life as a friend. I'm always gonna be here for you regardless."

"Thank you." I stretched over and hugged him.

Jamal was the friend I needed at this point. Yes there were times where I wondered how it would be if we did get together but that thought would fade from the fear of possibly losing him.