34. Small Steps

Annika was dumbfounded to see sleeping pills with Shivaay. The only reason she knew it was because she had found them with Om and he had told her that he had kept the bottle as a remembrance of his difficult times and how he shouldn't go back to them. But, finding them with Shivaay was so surprising. What all had he gone through in the past seven years! They needed to talk soon. Both needed to let it out. The first thing that occurred to her was a confrontation. But, she soon let it go. A confrontation at this time would go south in no time and one more fight would only result in them going away really far from each other. So, she decided to go slowly and start by talking. She was already a bit successful as he was at least he was responding to her. By that time, there was a door knock and she opened it and it was breakfast. She took it and kept it on the table and arranged it properly. She hadn't started eating and relaxed back on the sofa waiting for Shivaay to come in. He came in 10 minutes later and was surprised to see Annika in some deep thought. He clicked his fingers to gain her attention. At that, she blinked her eyes and sat straight.

"Good that you came. Let's have breakfast. I am very hungry"

"Yeah" He then sat opposite her and they started eating. He did notice something amiss in her demeanor but didn't ask anything. But, he gazed at her occasionally. She was aware of his gaze and understood that he must be suspicious of her sudden change. So, she steadied up and suddenly looked up interrupting his stare session and turn his head the other way.

"Aise karenge toh gardan mein moch aa jayegi", she said and let out a light chuckle. She then forwarded the plate of cookies to him. "Have this. It tastes really good. Plus, it does go really well with your omlette"

He took it from her and ate it.

"It is really good", Shivaay complemented.

Annika gave him a small smile and concentrated on their breakfast. After a while, she asked him something.

" Waise, what do you intend to do today? Saare functions toh kal se shuru ho rahe hai"

Shivaay gulped the remaining iced tea before answering.

"Yeah, maybe explore around. The resort doesn't have anything around except the sunset point jaha shaamko hi jaa sakta hu. And anyways, Aarav, Salu, Raj, Shilpa and Advait are coming today but they will definitely be tired. But Sumer has a dinner plan tonight. Waise hum sab ek saath time bhi spend kar payenge. So yeah, full day nothing much."

"Ohh, so you mind me accompanying you? Mera kaam aaj ka zyada nahi hai. Matlab when I used to come here earlier, I had already made most of the arrangements and last minute arrangements Vishal and Sneha dekh lenge. Most of the work in the wedding is to be handled by them only. So I am also relatively free. I have heard that there is a nice river nearby. Want to visit?" Annika asked apprehensively, though she wanted him to say yes.

"How much time will it take?" Shivaay said after a pause.

"That depends upon us", Annika answered.

"Okay", he replied and focused on completing his breakfast.

"Ha, aur waise bhi, we need to come back as soon as possible. Omru and Rivya aa rahe hai. Then we all can go the sunset point together, hain na?", Annika said enthusiastically.

"Hmmm", was all that he said and got up. He went to change his clothes and when he came back, he saw Annika waiting for him with her phone and bag. Sensing him, she turned back to see him in a jeans and light blue shirt that only made his eyes more mesmerizing. She looked at his hand and a smile crept up on her face. He was still putting on his watch and didn't notice her smile.