54. Can Things Get Better?

Shivika were still in the hug when Annika's phone rang. She broke the hug and picked up the phone while Shivaay took his brooch to fix it back. Annika finished her call and looked at Shivaay who was putting on the brooch. Annika went and took over. Shivaay in reflex wound his hands around her waist.

"Shivaay, I wanted to talk to you about something"

"Bolo Annika"

"It is about the family", Annika said and Shivaay's eyes darted towards her and his face expressions changed to serious.

"What about them?"

"Now that everything is going fine with us, with Amu, will you be able to talk to them as well?"

By that time, Annika had finished with the brooch and Shivaay moved away. He turned his back to her and stood silently.

"Shivaay", Annika tried to speak but Shivaay took two steps away from her. She also stopped and waited for him to speak. And he did after a brief minute.

"Annika, why do you want me to talk to them? Are you feeling torn between them and me? Do you feel like you have to choose between the family and your husband? Because I never want such a thing to happen"

Annika got apalled by that and immediately went and faced Shivaay.

"No Shivaay, it is nothing like that. I know the choice between your partner and the family is the most toughest one and I do not feel sandwiched between you and them. I just told you because I knew what importance they held in your life and it was difficult for you to always choose. And now that we are together, I don't want you to be awkward around any of them", Annika justified.

"It is not that Annika. I just don't know how to put it across for you. I don't feel like talking to them. For Amu, I will be civilized in front of them, but to have the relation that we shared earlier, is a difficult task Annika. I can't do it", Shivaay said and sat on the bed, exhausted.

Annika understood his inner turmoil and she went and sat down in front of him. She held his hands in hers and talked to him.

"Please don't think that I am talking to you as their lawyer. These are the words of your wife. I have seen the way you have always given your everything to them. I can never doubt on the love you had for them. I know that on the day seven years ago, my actions and words showed otherwise, but the truth is that the love you had for all of them was very pure. And I can sense that your current behavior towards them pricks you. And, even you behave properly in front of Amu, the underlying currents of tension won't evade the children for long"

"I know what you are saying is true Anni, but I can't bring myself to be the same old Shivaay again", Shivaay confessed.

"Ha toh where am I saying ki forgive them and have the same relationship again in an instant. All I am saying is that, try taking the first step. Try by not talking to them rudely or ignoring them completely", Annika spoke softly making Shivaay look at her.

"But, it is still too big a step"

Annika twitched her lips and started thinking something seriously. Suddenly, after a minute, she yelped in glee.

"I have an idea for you to be the old Shivaay again"

Shivaay couldn't understand what had made her so asked her, "Idea? What idea?"

"Aap choti choti cheezon se shuru kijiye. Like wearing your suits again, gelling your hair, throwing your phone, scolding me over my language and yes, the most important one, drinking that black coffee of yours", Annika said and chuckled at the last part.