16. Marriage, who?

Start from the beginning

Everything was set, except for two, the person who was supposed to perform
the paath, he called in sick and Ms.always late, Navneet Dhillon.

"Anybody among us who can do paath, but it should be done with proper etiquettes.

And without any interuptions.
So who is willing?"
Everybody shrugged, not being sure.

"The Elders have joint problems, they can't sit without a platform." Grandparents of both families were eliminated.

But they looked expectantly towards their children.

"Two hours is too long, I can't speak continuously.

I too have a sour throat. Journey effects."
And the next second mothers denied like that.
Fathers did not say anything, as usual.
Nobody expected them to speak even, they knew they can't do it.

Among the youngest couples, they were confident their children would never let them be in peace.

Rajveer tried to go ahead, but his mother stopped him.
She doesn't trust him enough to sit peacefully without attending to his phone.

"Shall we go back to the city, and bring someone capable, enough, without any family and health problems."
Rajveer intervened irritatedly at his mother's lack of trust in him.

Why would I compromise on such important matter?
Was all he thought, at his mother's indirect taunts at him.

"But we are already late. It will take another two hours to come back and forth."
Sarab denied the impatient man, again.

"Well, Nivi can talk for hours without any problem, and she is quite experienced in this.

She used to be a regular at gurudwara sahib back home."
Mehar supplies.

"Absolutely, nobody can be better than her.
She is proficient in this field and perfect for this.
Where is that, chatterbox?"

Her dadi praised her, for the first time, just because she was not present to give her smug looks.
Everybody tried to look around but couldn't locate her.
Randhawa's were eager to see her taking the lead, but she had just finished her nap.
And was currently being nagged at, by her friends.

"You are not even least bit interested in my wedding, Nivi.
How can you do this?"

It was Simi, standing at the bathroom door, where she was busy in bath.
Whereas, other two were looking for ways to pass the scoldings, they were going to get.

"Get my clothes out, please."
She shouted from inside.

Nimrat and Ruby started on it, immidiately.
As she rushed out in a good for nothing towel on a winter windy day, she was surrounded by her handmaids.

Putting the clothes on, stumbling a few times trying to get into the bottoms, she was placed in front of the mirror.

After constant strokes of brushes, pulling of hair and what not, she was being prepared for the roasting, her mom and dadi was going to put her through, for being late.

Once all set, they all rushed towards the back gardens, where the paath was going to be performed.

"Sat Sri akal, people."
Nivi greeted everyone politely with a sweet innocent smile on her face, directed towards her mother, who was glaring daggers at her unpunctuality.
Her friends following closely to her.