16. Marriage, who?

The next morning was brought and too early, for Navneet who couldn't get enough of her comfy bed.

The winter, morning sleep and cosy bed, are incomparable.

Constant buzzing of the alarm clock broke her sweet slumber.
Opening one eye lazily, she looked around to find the whole room eerily silent. Shutting the another noise coming from the side table, she straightened up her body like a lazy cat and took a sip of the coffee already kept there.
It was black and untasty, an hour cold.

Her friends had already left the room, without bothering to waste their energy on waking her up, personally.

Taking out her clothes, fit for the weather, she went for a hot shower.
Deciding on waiting for her parents, she occupied her previous seat, the window.

Sun had risen, emitting a warm glow all around the surroundings.
The paath ceremony was going to take place, as soon as the important guests arrived, including the baratis.

Soon after her phone chimed with a notification from her Mehar bhabhi, that they were about to reach.
Collecting her phone and hoodie to keep her warm, she ran to the living room to welcome them beforehand.

As soon as the swoosh of tyres was heard, Nivi flew past the double doors separating the porch and the common living room area where few unknown faces were lurking around.
She came to face with her mother first, and engulfed her in a bear hug.

"I missed you, maate"
(*Mother).

"How many times have I told you to not call me that.
Call me mom, mumma, mummy, even mata.
But not maate."
Her mother replied irritatedly.

"Okay, maate."
Nivi grinned at her mother, while she rolled her eyes and hugged her again, tighter than before.

"So tell me how are you.
Kinni dubli ho gayi ae.

Main ese lyi tanu door nhi bhejdi c.
Cooking karn de chakkr ch khana peena e chhad dita es kudi ne."

"Mum, asi last month e mile c.
Workout da te time v ni milya mano, hle tak."
(*How thin you have become.
That's why I was not sending you away, I knew it being lazy you will avoid cooking.

Mum we met last month, and i haven't even worked out yet).
While mother and daughter went back and forth about complaining, remaining family looked at them amused.

"Bus, I can't keep up feeling unimportant anymore."
Saying this Mehar proceeded to wrap her arms around them, and pushed them inside.

"Jhallian."
Grandma said.
And everybody laughed at their antics.
Greeting everyone sheepishly, Nivi moved with rest of the family towards their rooms for freshening up after a long journey.

"Bhabhi, grandpa and grandma were not coming, why sudden plans?"
Ofcourse Nivi couldn't ask them, or her bebe would have hit her with her walking stick.

"Mom and dad, wants to talk about it to you themselves.
And dadi is here to make sure everything goes well for her lado.
Thus, all I can say is that my ship has sailed.
And you are on board, for a heavy drive."

"What is that supposed to mean?"
Nivi was getting impatient at her cryptic answers.

"Intzaar, sabr and patience, is all that it means.

And where is that brother of yours, ask him to bring my doll, she must be hungry.
Oof, my feet are so swollen."
And Mehar went away muttering under her breath.
But her words managed to bring Nivi on edge, successfully.

After few hours,

The paath ceremony was about to start.
The male members of the family had gone and came back with the holy saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.