[04] Ripped Receipts

Start bij het begin

"Baji-san, I lost my wallet."

"...You had one job! Only one job, Chifuyu! What am I gonna do on an empty stomach, hah?!" The cashier stopped doing what she was doing and sighed. Baji had already brought so much to the counter and now she would have to put it all back on the shelves.

"It'll be around here somewhere! Help me find it otherwise you won't be getting snacks for the rest of the week!"

"Don't threaten me!"

。。。

You were currently on your way to Musashi Shrine like always. But today, you decided to take a little detour and go through the local shopping district to see if there were any sales on.

As you strolled down the street of vendors, you felt something small under your foot. You stopped walking and looked at the object on the floor. "What is that? A wallet?" You squat down for a moment and picked it up. Nobody seemed to be looking around frantically for it so you did the next step and opened it up.

"Woah–!" You immediately closed it after seeing what was inside—there was so much money in it. You needed to move to the side before someone mugged you. "Okay... other than money, there are a few coins and random pieces of paper." There was nothing about the owner of the wallet.

The best thing you could do was ask around. This neighbourhood wasn't known for thievery so you don't think these people would lie. You put the wallet into your tote bag and zipped it up. "Better start asking people."

And so, stall by stall, people by people—whatever that means—you asked all around about a missing wallet. Everyone you came across had shook their head and some even ignored you, thinking you were handing out tissues. Heck you approached a group of girls, perhaps high schoolers, about it and they quite literally looked down on you like a cockroach. Sure, you were shorter than them, but they didn't have to treat you like that.

You also had the chance to question a few older ladies... about your grandparents age; they just when you candies and some tissues in response to your question. You appreciated it though! You haven't seen your grandparents in a while and it reminded you of them.

In the end, you were back where you started. You were more lost than before though; you didn't have a start this time. You grabbed the wallet again and opened it. Maybe the papers had a clue? You didn't look at them before since they were all ripped up but... "Ripped up receipts. How many does the this person have? I'm surprised they fit in here with all this cash too."

No leads, once again; however, you noticed a smaller paper in between some cash. The other receipts were all on the one side of the cash, but this was was in the middle. It must mean something. "It's not a receipt. Oh my..." You were confused – why was your number in the wallet? The only person who you've given your number to (through paper) is Takemichi. Does that mean it was his wallet?

"Takemichi-san, a creep like always. Having another girls number in his wallet." You grabbed your phone and pressed a few buttons. "...Hello? It's me, [last name]. Are you busy right now, Tachibana-san?"

"Oh! [name]-chan, you're calling! Hold on a second!" You heard her shuffle around a bit. "Naoto! You're old enough to know to look both ways before you cross the street! Takemichi-kun, can you please look after Naoto for a little bit? I'm on the phone with [name]-chan! ...Thank you! Sorry, I'm at the park with my little brother and Takemichi-kun. Is something wrong?"

"I was just wondering if Takemichi-san has lost his wallet recently."

"His wallet? I'll ask." You could hear her ask her beloved boyfriend from the phone, "He said he hasn't. Why do you ask?"