Chapter 23 - Genes

Chance Kyson

"I can't locate Dean, it's been two days." I said as I walked into the meeting room. I sat beside Aria and she was looking at her phone.

"Danielle." I turned to her.

"What?"

"Do you know where he is?" I asked and she nodded.

"Where?" Phoenix asked.

"Don't worry, he's somewhere safe." Danielle said and I don't understand her statement.

"Safe? Where? Did you lock him somewhere?" Angelo asked.

"Because it's impossible to lock him somewhere." Adrian said and I nodded.

"He's with his family." Danielle said and I looked at her disbelief. Phoenix laughed at her statement and Lana elbowed him.

"We're going to do this without him.. for now."

"Wait! You're not joking?" Phoenix asked.

"Why would I joke around in this.. situation?"

"But he doesn't have a family. Why do you mean by him.. with his family right now?" Adrian asked and I saw Danielle sighed.

"He's with the Serano." I raised my eyebrows hearing it.

"Why would he be with them? What do you mean by family?" I asked because it doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure there's no connection between Dean and the Serano family. Dean's parents were killed when he was young.

"He's the youngest son of Alejandro Serano." Danielle stated like it was nothing making us looking at her dumbfound. Even Angelo choked on his bread and coughing like crazy.

I slowly processed the information. Dean is the youngest son of Alejandro Serano. He's the youngest son of- wait! What?

"What?!" Adrian got up from his seat.

"That man.. I swear he has a lot of secrets. What the fuck!" Phoenix hissed.

"How is that possible?" I asked.

"It's a long story. His parents who got killed were his adoptive parents." Danielle said.

"Wait.. you know this?" I turned to Aria and she nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked her.

"We had to.. you need to focus on your plan." She said like it was nothing.

"He never mentioned anything about Serano." Angelo stated.

"Of course, it's because he doesn't want to have any relationship with them."

Dean Alessandro

"Are you hungry?" My mother asked and I just looked at her cooking without answering anything. I felt so overwhelmed with this. I never thought I would be here experiencing the feeling of having a family asking you if you're hungry or not.

"This is my speciality.. come here." She said as she gestured me to come closer. I walked towards her and she took a small spoon scooping the minced meat. She fed me and it was good.

"How is it? Is it good?" She asked and I nodded.

"It's good."

"Oh! I can't wait for you to try the whole thing." As she's cooking, she tried to get to know me. She asked me about my life, my dreams and how I became a doctor.

It was nice but still so weird for me.

"Dean." She called me.

"Hmm?"

"How about you move back here? Hmm?" She asked and I shook my head.

"I.. I don't want to." I said truthfully and she nodded.

"It's okay. I'll visit you often then.. can I?"

"I don't know."

Alejandro Serano

I could see my wife's eyes who filled with sadness when my son, Declan, doesn't want to move here and have us visit him. I understand if he rejects us and trying not to have any relation. It was my fault.

"Why did you do it?" I turned to see my daughter, Isabella standing leaning to the wall looking at me coldly.

"How could you let him go through all of this?" She added as her eyes filled with tears.

"Bella, you don't understand-"

"If you don't fix this, you'll lose one more kid.. I'll leave too because I don't want to have a father who left his own son to someone else." She hissed and then left. I turned to the kitchen again and saw my wife putting the food in the oven. She was holding on to Declan's hand as they both kneeled down to see that's inside the oven.

"Let's just wait for another 10 to 15 minutes, how about we stroll around the garden?" Mikhela said and Declan nodded.

Dean Alessandro

After finished eating with my mother, I walked back to my room. I walked pass the living room and I saw my sister sitting alone crying. She was looking out the window sobbing and I just stood there.

"Why are you crying?" I asked and she immediately stood up and wiped her tears.

"Dean, hey." She smiled as she kept wiping her tears.

"Can I ask a favor?" I asked and she nodded. She nodded quickly as she walked towards me.

"What? What is it?"

"I want to get out of here. I don't belong here, I just want to go back." I said and she got taken back with my words.

"Dean, I can't do that. I don't have the authority here."

"I'll help you get out." I turned to Damien.

"Damien!" Isabella warned.

"I'll help you get out of here if you talk to us. You, me, Isabella and Edmund." Damien offered.

"Talk about what? There's nothing to talk about."

"Then I guess.. you'll be staying here." Damien said and I sighed.

"Don't make me do this the hard way.." I warned him and he shook his head.

"I think you're aware what we're capable of. You're an ILLICIT leader, you're smart and have you think about where you got that genes from?" Damien raised his voice.

"Damien.. please.." Isabella begged.

"You don't need to act like my older brother. I never grew up with one even thought I know.. I have one." I said coldly and Damien looked hurt but I couldn't care less.

"You're right." I turned to see Edmund walking into the room. What is this? A sibling reunion? How touching..

"We don't have the rights to say or to do anything but we're your siblings. We just want to help." I laughed sarcasticly at Edmund's words.

"Siblings? I don't need it. I'm capable of standing on my own so.. I don't need your help."

"You see that, Edmund? Genes really can't lie.. all of the Seranos have rocks as their heads and not to mention that.. we're cocky as fuck." Damien chuckled and it made me mad even more.

"I don't mind playing it the hard way, Declan."