Chapter 14 - Alone

Danielle Leone

8 years ago..

I opened my eyes and I could feel my whole body is hurting. I sat up slowly and the first person I saw was Dean. He got up from his seat and ran to me.

"Danielle, how are you feeling?" He asked but everything happened in slow motion to me. My ears were ringing and I could barely think. I don't even know what happened to me until my whole body is aching.

The doctor checked on me right away and I was being examinated from head to toe.

"Do you remember what happened?"

"No."

"What was the last thing you remember?" Dean asked and I raised my eyebrows.

"Dean, it was your birthday yesterday. You, me, Dante and Matteo were planning to go bowling." I said and his eyes widen. Judging by his reaction, there's something wrong with me.

I was trying to process everything and when I was alone in the examination room, I asked the doctor.

"What exactly happening to me?"

"You were in an accident and there's a lot of trauma to your head." He said and then he checked to make sure. After he got the result, he went out to let the others know.

I was on a really intense care. The boys take turns to take care of me except for Parker. I kept asking them for Parker but he never showed up.

It's like he vanished into thin air.

Then Dean informed me that I passed the selection for racing and I was so exctied because it has been my dreams to be a racer. He told me that I have to go to America and he promised me that he will join me a year after my departure.

But then.. he never came.

From that point, I knew something was wrong. I knew something was indeed missing from my mind. There's a lot of odd things that I can't even describe.

I tried to find everything myself. Informations about me and my friends and then.. I got something in the mail.

It's from Parker.

He sent me a lot of journals, newspapers and even files about ILLICIT. I read everything one by one and I couldn't stop crying. I was stressing out and started to having a really bad mental breakdown.

I locked myself when I'm not racing and started having flashbacks. It was not a full flashbacks but bits and pieces.

I did have an amnesia but slowly.. it's coming back and I want answers. I was trying to go back to Europe but I was banned from going. I don't have any other choice but asking for help.

I befriend some people from The Gold Lifes who happened to race. I asked them for help secretly and got a lot of information from them.

Present time

"Danielle." I kept holding the gun to him and my heart was dying inside. I wanted to cry so bad seeing Dean like this.

"I've spend my life.. trying to protect you, trying to protect my friends and my family. There's never been a day that I can sleep peacefully. I've lost everything.. everyone.. including you." He said as his eyes filled with tears.

"If you really want ILLICIT so bad, I will be willing to give it you but.. you need to stop working on that nuclear bomb." He begged as he kneeled down on both knees. That made me drop my gun and immediately hugged him.

"I'm sorry." I said.

8 years ago..

"You promise that you'll be good on your own?" Dean asked as he caressed my head.

"I promise."

"You need to stay there and I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with my work here." He smiled and I nodded.

"To be honest, I don't want to go anywhere in this world without you." I said and he shook his head.

"Don't worry, even though I'm far away. I'll always protect you, you know that right?"

"I know but.. when will you let me protect you?" I asked and he chuckled.

"One day. You can come back if you think I need you to protect me."

Present time..

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!" I said as I could my heart aching so much. Dean was hurting and I came back too late.

"It's my turn now. It's my turn to protect you." I whispered and I could feel him hugging me tighter. I cried in his arms and I couldn't lie to him anymore.

I had to let him know that.. I don't have any amnesia.

Dean Alessandro

She is indeed my one and only hope. Knowing that she remembered everything hurt me. She went through a lot of traumatic incident in her life, yet she's still so strong.

She waited for 8 years and it's incredible for her to have such patience.

"You need to tell me everything that you know." I said and she shook her head. She cupped my face and leaned her forehead to me.

"It's my turn to protect you, I'm sorry for coming too late." She said as she cried again in my arms.

"Who? Who did it? You need to tell me."

"You don't need to know." She said as she hugged me tightly.

"How did you know? About Parker? About everything?" I asked and she pulled away.

"Parker sent a lot of things to me."

"What?"

"The nuclear code that is in Dante's hands. I need it." She looked at me and I raised my eyebrows.

"For what?"

"Because he put the key in that suitcase." What?!

"That's impossible! It can only be activated by his DNA!"

"That's true but.. he told me he put extra keys in there just incase. Dante and Lycan will be selling it to Russia soon and since Dante and Lycan have zero idea about the system, they don't even realize that the key is in there but the Russians will." Shit.

"You should have told me this!"

"I'm going to do it alone."