Chapter 40

Chapter 40

"Honey it's been nearly more than two decades how could she still remember? She was barely 3. How could a kid that young possibly remember."
"Did she saw the same dream? Why didn't you call me?" Noah asks worriedly.
"The network was not reaching and I didn't know you were on third floor, there are so many floors and doors it was difficult and I was comforting Mel but you know how Mel is."
"Ahhh I wish I could give my peace to her. She's so young and talented and she lives like a woman in her 60s . My poor child. Is she alright now?"
"Yes after talking with Rose she went back to normal. I wonder what Rose does to Mel. I mean no matter how hard we tried to calm her in the past while Rose slept like in coma, Mel would be fine the minute she saw Rose and hugged her when child. They really are soul sisters Noah. I am so happy to have such precious daughters. "
Noah hugs Deborah and plants a kiss on her temples.
" God gave us a delicate Mel and then Rose to take care of her. Maybe they don't need us. Our daughters are more than enough for each other. We are lucky to be their parents. "
" Indeed. "Deborah sighs hugging Noah
" You remember when you first brought Mel home from hospital.. "
" How could I forget that day. I remember your face, you were beaming with joy. "
" We tried for years to have a child and then one day while I was praying to have our child I found Mel in the same church, the same very room. I am sad that she lost her parents but I am sure no one can love her more than us after her parents. "
Deborah becomes emotional and a tear slides her cheek to which Noah lovingly wipes and kisses her cheek.
" Thank you for bringing me a daughter from church that day, you not only saved her from becoming an orphan but made me a mother as well. "
" Well we should thank God, it was because of him that I became a father."
"Noah, I was thinking about Remy."
"I gave him a thought yesterday. He will be a good lad for Mel. What do you think?"
Deborah smiles and Noah knows she had same thoughts.
"Mel just told me that Remy doesn't have parents. His brother raised him and when he lost his brother he became an orphan."
"Oh poor boy, may God bless him and his brother."
"Amen." Deborah smiles.
"Sweetheart did I tell you that I love you."
Deborah smiles at Noah before saying, "I just believe you did."
"Maybe I should elaborate."
"No need honey, I'm already quite aware." she retorts goofily before continuing, "I'm going to check on Mel and Remy. Express your love to Bob till then."
She was about to close the door behind her when she heard Noah saying, when she heard Noah saying, "you won't believe that I am doing well with Bob, in fact I was playing pool with him and Rick on the third floor, it seems that he is a really good guy."
Deborah smiles at Noah happy that he was getting along with Bob. She had always liked Bob on the contrary to when Noah would fought with him at every chance he got.
_____
" Hey there, how are you my cookies." Deborah said lovingly at the sight of Remy and Mel busy drawing something. They both looked up at Deborah before smiling and conforming their good health.
Deborah went to Remy and like I mother he always wanted lightly cupped his face and said," I hope you always stay happy. Take good care of each other." Mel smiles brightly at Mel, keeping her glum mood aside and acting normal around her parents like usual, she hated to trouble Deborah and Noah. She loved to see them happy but when she was unhappy she noticed the whole family went to the same low frequency she was at. She soon learnt to act bright and cheery despite her fear and torment but she could see that Remy was awful at hiding and though he tried smiling a little his lips queered at the unwanted expression.
It did not went amiss from Deborah's notice and she knew he needed time. She turned towards Mel and kissed her forehead whispering the command, "be happy Melly."
Mel smiled brightly once again as she saw Deborah's retreating back.
Once she left Mel slipped back to her normal expressions.
"Who ah you shape shift." Remy says trying to sound funny.
"Have to, if I not she worries and becomes sad."
"I envy your strength Mel. You are strong."
Mel's felt like he was joking that has to be a joke right she and strong?! Hah! After looking at Remy all her doubts went, what he said he meant it in all seriousness and she could only nod happy to find someone who thought her to be strong.
Other than Remy it was Rose who always treated Mel that way. Mom, dad on the other hand treated her like a glass ball. They were so careful with her that she started doubting her own capabilities. She loved them but she really wished they'd care a little less just a little. She knew Deborah too well and by now made peace with the fact that Deborah was incapable of not not overcaring and overreacting when it came to Mel. Noah was on similar terms as Deborah when it came to Mel, he was overprotective and immediately did everything in his power to eliminate threat. She remembered how when she used to wake up dreaming about being burnt live, how terrified Deborah and Noah were and Noah bought dozens of wallpapers of ocean and sea with different shades of blue covering every inch of the house. She could not without them. They tried their best to make Mel feel safe and she actually loved her home more than anyplace, even this luxurious cruise was not worth the safety she felt at house despite the ghost of Willson showing himself in the house she could not dream about exchanging the house for anything.
_____

"How's she?" Noah asks looking at Deborah.
"Pretending to be fine again." Deborah sighs