Enigma Of Pain

Author's POV:

" Nithya, sweetheart, just give this uniform to Adi. Or else he'll yell at the maids. This is washed and pressed." Anuradha said hurriedly and ran to Rahul with her bag.

" But....." Even before Nithya could complete her words, Anuradha reached the threshold as Rahul is urging her to come fast.

Nithya sighed and walked to her room to find out that Adi is in the washroom. She didn't see him from the past 3 days. She don't wanna get hurt by him again.

She saw the pins in the box and attached them accordingly. Once she is ok with the uniform, she lifted it up and took a look at it only to find a star missing. She frowned and that's when Adi came out. He looked fresh and clean.

Nithya immediately put that down and collected her coat along with her stethoscope. She walked to the study room and took the files which she read last night.

Adi smiled and took his uniform to see it neatly washed and ironed. And to his surprise, the pins are also attached on his shoulder. But his hawk like eyes fell on his missing star.

He opened the box to see it no where. Nithya came back to the room only to see Adi looking at his uniform furiously.

" Are you the one who pinned these?" Adi asked making her nod nonchalantly.

" Where is the star?" He asked angrily making her flinch at her place.

" I don't know. It's missing." She said coldly.

" Did you hide it Nithya? Do you even know it's value? It's a part of my uniform Nithya. And without that I can't do my duty." He yelled holding her elbows.

" I did......" Even before she could complete he snatched her stethoscope and lifted it to her eye level.

" Can you do your duty without this?" He roared throwing it against the wall. Nithya's eyes bulged seeing his action. That stethoscope is so precious to her. Dr. Ahmed gifted her that.

" No. You can't. In the same way even I can't. I don't know when you'll act like a mature woman. " He said angrily and pushed her.

He quickly wore his uniform and marched towards the door after asking Shantanu to come to his house.

Nithya took her stethoscope with the shivering hands and she was not able to see anything due to the tears. She wiped her tears and looked for any damage.

And her heart broke seeing the situation of the stethoscope. It's diaphragm was broken, the tubing was ruptured and the ear tube had few dents and a hole. She bit her lip to control her sobs. She knew it can't be repaired anymore.

She left her broken stethoscope in the drawer and picked her coat and files rushing towards the hospital. Neither Adi nor Nithya eat their breakfast in this heated morning.

Adi sat inside the passenger seat with a grim face making Shantanu frown. He tried to joke but only recieved glares from Adi.

" What happened?" Shantanu asked tired of his friend's grim face.

" Nothing." Adi replied coldly and closed his eyes.

" Oh! I forgot to give you a thing." He said and opened the glove compartment and took a small piece of metal.

" Here." He said forwarding his hand towards Adi and looking at the road driving.

Adi opened his eyes and looked at Shantanu's hand to see his missing star in his hand.

" Where did you get this from?" Adi asked quickly while his body turned rigid.

" Yesterday when you came home, Anvi slept on you. And before she slept, she unpinned it and held in her hand. Shreya saw this and asked me to return this to you." Shantanu shrugged.