what could've been || mobius m. mobius

Pairing: Mobius M. Mobius x Gender Neutral Reader

Warnings: Major angst at the end (fluff to angst), death of a main character, Loki episode 1-5 spoilers. If I missed anything please let me know.

I also posted this to Tumblr! My @ is quackscnn on there :]

___________ 

"Are you sure you don't want me to restore your memories?" Loki asked, keeping his voice hushed even though everyone was far from hearing distance. "Y/n, I want to let you know now that you may never get this chance again. I don't know if or when I'll return."

"I know," I said. "Thank you, Loki. But I don't think I want them."

He sighed, knowing he wouldn't win this battle. "Okay. If you change your mind in the next few minutes, tell me."

Even though my mind was set, I still nodded anyway. The rest of the Loki variants, as well as Mobius, gathered in a circle. Mobius still couldn't wipe that grin off of his face. He'd been ecstatic ever since Loki restored his memories (he'd been glad to put his enchantment powers to use ever since Sylvie taught him), and he didn't fail to imply how excited he was to tell me all about them. "So what's the plan?" Mobius half yelled over the loud, gushing wind.

Sylvie, sucking in a breath, replied, "I think, if I can get close enough to Allioth, Loki and I can enchant it long enough to get past. We'll need a distraction." She handed the tempad over to Mobius, full of juice and uncracked, the opposite of what Loki had done to a previous device.

"Thank you," Mobius and I said gratefully.

"What will you do," Loki asked. "when you get back to the TVA?"

Mobius and I shared a smile. "Burn it to the ground."

I turned to Classic Loki, Kid Loki, and even Crocodile Loki. "You guys coming?"

They shook their heads, a decision they had put much thought into before. "This is our home. We're staying."

Mobius and I shared bittersweet goodbyes with Loki and Sylvie. They had shockingly become my good friends and some of the best people I'd ever met. But, I guess since I didn't see many others aside from my coworkers at the TVA, that wasn't saying too much.

We shook hands with the other kind Loki variants, and Mobius opened up the portal. I stole one last glance at each of them before walking through. I could've sworn Crocki smiled at me.

Mobius brought me to his office with speed, sparing no time to waste. Despite his age, he moved pretty swiftly, which never failed to shock me. He had offered to come with me to grab last minute things I wanted from my desk, (I wasn't as high as Mobius, therefore I didn't get an office) but I insisted we didn't. Everything would just be a constant reminder of my horrible life serving from an organization made of lies.

Instead, I came with Mobius and allowed him to talk about his past. "I had a jet-ski, Y/n! God, it was beautiful. It looked exactly like the one in the magazine." His smile was so wide, I tried my best to match it. "A-and you? What did you see?" His body suddenly tensed, and I couldn't understand why.

"I beg your pardon?"

His eyes fell and he fumbled with the knickknack in his hands. "I was just wondering what you saw, when Loki showed you your life before the TVA."

"I asked Loki not to show me."

"Wait, you what??"

I sighed. "When Sylvie first enchanted me, just to cause a distraction when I first met her, I saw something..awful. She didn't show me some happy memories from my past. I looked... like I was suffering. I was alone in a dark room and I just thought, "If that's what my past was like, I don't think I want to know the rest."

Mobius sucked in a breath. "I'm so sorry, Y/n. I didn't know."

I waved a hand. "It's fine. I mean, what I don't know can't hurt me, right?"

He attempted a smile and looked down. He placed the mini snow globe back on the desk, probably deciding not to take it back to Earth with him after all.

"Moby? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah... Yeah everything is good." "You know I can tell when you're lying, right? I've known you for years, practically like I know the back of my hand."

"Okay then," Mobius huffed. "In one of the memories Loki showed me, well I was wearing a suit. Much nicer than this one, that's for sure. And, well it was my wedding. I just..." he paused, giving himself a moment to gather his thoughts. "I don't know what will happen. If they still want to be with me. I was happy, Y/n, happier than I've ever been. What if they don't love me anymore?" My heart sank. Of course Mobius fell in love. Of course. It wasn't just us two stuck within the walls of the TVA, he had truly lived his life. He probably had kids, for all I know. And hearing how desperately he wanted to return to the love of his life sucked. Especially since I considered him the love of mine.

Instead of letting the hurt show on my face for too long, I quickly brainstormed a response. "Mobius, I'm sure they'll still want to be with you. True love is forever, and I may not have much experience, but I can tell you that much. I promise."

Silence followed as my voice drifted off into the distance. "Y/n..?"

I hummed in response, barely lifting my head to look at him. I was still partially lost in my own train of thoughts. "It's you. The person I fell in love with. It was you. I just needed to tell you. I can't go back to Earth without at least trying." My breath hitched in my throat. "If.. if you don't feel the same-"

I rolled my eyes, grabbing his hand. "I do. Feel the same, I mean. About you. Sorry.. I'm not used to this whole... being in love thing. I do love you. I don't need my memories to tell you that."

His grip tightened on my hand as the door to his office was thrown open. The tempad that laid on Mobius desk was thrown to the ground by Renslayer. She stomped on it with her heel and kicked it away. "Say your goodbyes, variants," she spat.

All the colour rushed from both of our faces. "Ms. Minutes? Send her to the void."

"That is a mighty big wish. Are you sure about that? There is no way-"

"I said send her to the void!" Before either of us had time to react, Ms. Minutes appeared in front of me, and I blacked out.

As for Mobius, he was free to return to Earth. To live out his days. Except it was nothing like he expected. The only thing he had left were memories. He suffered thinking about what could've been, the life you two would have lived had you had just a few more minutes.