Chapter 55: shire

The days passed by quickly, especially after Rowan had decided to help Sam in the garden. Éomer had gone back to Rohan, after he was crowned King. Rowan was set to return back there soon, just before the wedding, but for now she was staying with some others at Sam and Rosie's house.  Rowan learned very quickly that while Sam was a total sweetheart, he was a tyrant in the garden.

"Are you insane? Those are marigolds! Not petunias!" he scolded Rowan. "They're all flowers! I'm not an expert okay!" Rowan huffed. "They look nothing alike!" he howled whilst Gimli and Aragorn laughed from the front door of the Shire. Frodo watched from nearby and shook his head, "Honestly Rowan, how have you survived this long?" Rowan whipped her head around, "You're taking his side?"

Frodo only smiled peacefully. Sam looked victorious and pulled out a nasty weed that he had been working on for a while now, "I shudder to think of what your garden looks like!"Rowan pouted as the two hobbits ganged up on her, and when it was time for dinner her head was spinning from how much Sam had tried to teach her about gardening. Rosie was inside the kitchen pulling out a hot dish of food from the stove, when Sam walked inside with Frodo and Rowan. Aragorn, Arwen and Gimli walked through the doors shortly after. "Thîr vain chîn darn thulen." Rowan smiled as she pulled Rosie into a hug, "Your beauty took my breath away" she repeated in common tongue and Rosie smiled ecstatically.  As they all sat down at the dinner table, Rosie smiled turning to Rowan. "I heard that you're getting married soon." Rowan immediately blushed. "My little sister's getting married..." Aragorn joked as he pulled a shocked expression, Arwen had to give a little shove to his side for him to put his hands in the air and say, "I'm just surprised anyone would actually marry you." He joked again and he received a glare from his wife. "I'm just joking." Everyone in the room laughed. 

"I thought Legolas was joining us?" Gimli questioned suddenly as he looked up from his plate and as he looked around not finding his blonde haired elf friend.  Frodo replied quickly, "He's busy being a Prince" Aragorn sighed, " Like thats harder than being a King" and everyone laughed. Rowan looked out of the window, she knew he had found a girlfriend- a rather beautiful elleth too- about a year ago just before she went to Rohan. The thought that were running through her mind were running wild. Arwen noticed and she gently interlocked their fingers together under the table and squeezed them ever so slightly. Rowan did not turn but she could feel her friends gaze directly on her. 

 Rosie pushed up closer to Rowan with her angelic voice, "You really need to teach me some Elvish, It seems like a beautiful language." Arwen joined in with their conversation and offered her assistance, "I can help you too If you want.." Arwen smiled and Rosie nodded. Rowan smiled and then looked down. "Please excuse me.." she whispered as she abruptly stood up and made her way to the door. Once outside, Rowan felt the wind creep down her neck and under the hem of her jumper. She shuddered almost immediately and quietly cursed herself for not wearing something more suitable for the winter weather. "Oio naa elealla alasse'." (Ever is thy sight a joy) she heard behind her. She didn't need to turn she knew exactly who it was. Rowan smiled as she felt the voice move closer until it stopped. "Lle tyava quel?" Arwen questioned. (Do you feel well?)

"Im maer." (I'm well) Rowan nodded, though they both knew she wasn't, as she fiddled with her hands. "Is this abo-" Rowan interrupted, "I try and I try and still I cannot forget him.." She paused for a second as she caught her breath. "When I hear his name.. I-I get mad at myself for what I did and a-and what I said. Yet I've moved on and I'm getting married and I'm happy with Éomer, I really am Arwen.." Arwen rested her head on her friends shoulder to say that it was okay. "A!" (Ahh!) Rowan sighed, Now I don't see what they both have ever seen in me..."

"Lle naa beleghotar. Lle naa curucuar." (You are a mighty warrior. You are a skill full bowman) Rowan looked up at Arwen. "Ed' i'er ar' elenea, vanimle sila tiri..." (By the sea and stars, your beauty shines bright.) Rowan smiled, "losing a friend is always hard but losing a dear friend is much harder. Have you tried to talk to him?" Rowan shook her head. "I do not think that, that would be wise.. it's been years since I've properly spoken to him.. and the l-last time I shouted at him and told him that it was better if he never spoke to me again."

"And you regret that..?"

Rowan thought about this for a moment before looking back up at her friend. "I now do." Arwen noticed the goosebumps forming on her sister-in-law's arms. "Tolo, govano ven." (come, join us) Rowan took Arwen's hand as they made their way back towards the door of the Gamgee's house.